The Elder Scrolls Movie: A Franchise Begins (speculation)

With The Hobbit now playing in theaters around the world, I’ve been having flashbacks to my time in college when The Lord of the Rings movies began releasing. A world that had felt like an ideal movie setting for my whole life was finally coming true, and the movies did not disappoint. I couldn’t imagine ever hoping for another fantasy world being made into a movie as much as this one.

But as time went by, I discovered Tamriel, thanks to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I didn’t play it a ton at the time because my Xbox died and I simply never got around to having it fixed. But when The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion came out and I had an Xbox 360, I didn’t leave my house for days. I let myself get lost in the story, the guilds, the arena, and the exploring. I explored every corner of that map multiple times, completing quest after quest, never tiring of the array of different adventures the game was able to provide.

The highly polished and beautiful The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim just threw me over the top. This is no longer a game, Tamriel is actually a part of me now. A place where my free time is spent chopping wood, chasing vampires, stealing silverware, and hunting dragons. My characters actually live in this world, and an incredible story has played out before my eyes. It’s a story so enthralling, so cinematic… it simply must be shared with the world.

I know I’m not the only one to think this would make an amazing film franchise. If the world was ready for The Lord of the Rings, The Avengers, and The Smurfs, the world is ready for The Elder Scrolls. And with The Elder Scrolls Online coming soon, the possibilities open up even more.

There’s enough lore, moodiness, visual detail, and action in any Elder Scrolls game, that a film director would have the world at his feet with everything he needed to make this movie work. By putting together a good cast (preferably unknown, or at least lesser known actors), working with a company like Weta to create the scads of different races, monsters, spiders, and draugrs that the series is known for, and getting the right soundtrack (**cough** Jeremy Soule **cough**), this could be almost as big as The Lord of the Rings.

Picking a storyline might truly be the toughest part, as Elder Scrolls games have become increasingly vague as to what the main story is supposed to be (which I view as a good thing). Would the movie be about fighting between the Aldmeri Dominion, Daggerfall Covenant, and Ebonheart Pacts? Would it be based in Skyrim’s timeline and center around Nords trying to slay dragons? Or would it be a darker, more sinister movie and focus on the Dark Brotherhood? Whoever was tapped to write this movie would have a lot of decisions to make, but there are certainly a lot of excellent story lines to choose from.

Personally, here’s what I’d like to see – and I’ll keep it in the Skyrim era since that’s what is most fresh and what I know the most about. I’d love to see a movie focusing on one main character, some sort of dual wielding Aragorn-ish leader, or someone more inclined to lurk in the shadows and be wary of other people. He resides in Solitude, but is incredibly spiteful of the Imperials. People keep assuming he’ll join up with them to take down Jarl Ulfric, but he has other plans. While he secretly works his way up the ranks of the Thieves Guild in Riften, he is also preparing himself to assist Jarl Balgruuf in a plan that will get rid of the dragons. Along the way he could group up with a few companions that would help expand the film into a franchise, developing each character’s story a little more in each film.

Ok, so Bethesda won’t be calling me anytime soon to write a movie script for them, but you get the idea. There’s a lot that has already been done in the game that just needs to be adapted for the big screen. Changing it up would be good, we don’t need to see the same ending to the movie that we see in the games, but the point is there’s already an incredibly strong backbone to get started with.

Maybe you’ve noticed I haven’t named a director yet? The easy answer is Peter Jackson, which probably means he’d be the wrong choice. It just seems too obvious; TOO similar to The Lord of the Rings. I’m sure he’d do an amazing job, but who else might do it justice? I won’t even pretend to be a film expert and list off who I think should direct, that’s where you come in. Who do you think could do this series justice on the big screen? Would you even want to see this game turned into a movie? Is there a choice better than Jeremy Soule for music? What kind of characters would you like to see featured, and who should play them?

Elder Scrolls games are all about putting players in the middle of something big. Whether it’s fighting dragons, closing Oblivion gates, or ridding the world of Argonians (that one’s for you, Shank), Bethesda has made its living on dreaming big. Why not dream a little bigger, and see just how far this fantasy world can go?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Brian covers gaming news for the Quest Gaming Network. You can follow him on Twitter at silentfury007, where he also occasionally rambles about music.

64 Responses to “The Elder Scrolls Movie: A Franchise Begins (speculation)” Subscribe

1. Clark December 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Rob Bowman, Tarsem Singh, Zach Snyder, Jonathan Liebesman, Louis Leterrier, Stefen Fangmeier, Steven Spielberg, and Peter Jackson would all make great ones!

• Korveas December 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

don’t forget joss whedon

• Connor January 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

Don’t forget J.J. Abrams

• krystak99 January 25, 2013 at 8:19 am #

the problem if peter jackson directed would be that it might make a lord of the rings look which would be good because LOTR is very very good but it would almost be copied because of peter jacksons fantasy film style etc. it might not, but it could. P.S, an elderscrolls movie would just be AWESOME!! with the right director and cast.

• Kartur January 3, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Spielberg 20 years ago maybe.

2. ElGallo December 19, 2012 at 12:06 am #

I’d like to see an elder scrolls movie definately, however if such a thing should come to pass i think that there has to be certain things that are and are not acceptable for the film. for one i don’t think that the film should be based on any of the already existing games for the simple reason that the film would be retelling a story that has already been told. it should be new, fresh, something we haven’t seen before. like a place or a territory that has yet to be explored within previous elder scroll games(Valenwood, Black Marsh, Elsweyr, Alinor) it really didn’t matter actually if the film would take place in areas previously explored, or perhaps to take place in multiple or all providences of tamriel. in any case the story MUST be fresh and not reused the main character cannot be dragonborn or hero of kvatch etc…. the music of course has to be the elder scrolls official theme and should include music from arena and daggerfall

3. Eridani December 21, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

Yes! Middle-Earth makes for a great movie setting, so why not Tamriel (or one of the provinces)? Anyway, for a story, I think it should revolve around the Scrolls themselves. Perhaps the main character can be a member of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth (a group of individuals that can read the Scrolls relatively safely), although I have a blank past that. Maybe the archive could be stolen by some neo-Mythic Dawn members who wish to construct a sort of super-weapon out of them, one that could bend even the Daedra to their will.

As for directors, my first choice would Guillermo del Toro. After seeing the visual style in Hellboy 2, I can’t think of someone who would better capture the essence of the many races of the Tamriel.

4. MA2357 December 24, 2012 at 12:45 am #

I think it should start up like “Elder Scrolls:Arena”. Start from the beginning of game series but sort of switch the plot up a bit. It starts out like: Jagar Tharn sends the emperor to a different dimension, Jagar then magically disguises himself as the emperor. He then sends the emperor’s son to an unknown location and sends a powerful Draedra disguised as General Talin to guard him. Jagar places a powerful spell on the emperor’s son linking their souls to become immortal. But Ria Silmane, Tharn’s apprentice, somehow catches him in the act and tries to inform the Elder Council but is killed. Jagar sends General Talin (the main character of this movie) to the imperial dungeon which now has no order because all the prisoners were set loose. Talin meets a Khajiit who is a rogue type person who has spent a good portion of his life locked up in the dungeon for reason unknown at the moment. Because of his experience in the dungeon he helps Talin and him escape. The Khajiit follows Talin for he hasn’t seen daylight in years and has no place to go. Talin, having no idea why he was thrown in the dungeon or what is going on, seeks out “the Blades”, sworn protectors of the emperor, for he feels something isn’t right with the “emperor”. He heads to Bruma where the Blades are currently. On the way they are forced to set up a camp and as the Khajiit takes the first look out shift Talin sleeps and dreams. Ria comes to him in a dream and informs him about Jagar’s treachery. Morning comes and they continue their journey to Bruma.

That’s all i have so far and that is just what i had off the top of my head. I wouldn’t make it exactly like Arena how he cast 8 pieces of his chaos orb or whatever to different dungeons around the world cause its just ganna be repetitive. I also wouldn’t advise making some random person the hero like the game does because there are a variety of different races and a variety of different gameplay styles (warrior, rogue, mage.) and if you make it one specific thing only those people who like that race or class are going to like it and others will ask why not this or that. This actually introduces a character who was actually named in the lore therefore no one can complain. Plus there is room for other characters like the Khajiit who i have not named because i suck at names. Talin will eventually find the emperor’s son and slay the daedra posing as him. The questions i cannot answer myself is will he kill him making Jagar mortal again at the price of killing the only heir to the throne? What other characters will Talin find on the way? Where does the plot lead on to after he meets up with the Blades and what will be accomplished by meeting them? Is Jagar getting help from a daedric prince and if so by which one? (i would like for a daedric prince to be involved but i wouldnt know which one would help him and what they could help him with.)

This is all i came up with in a matter of a couple hours so if anyone wishes you can add on to it, change the story a little bit, do what ever you think would improve the film. Also I have no clue who would be the right choice as to direct the film or produce the music. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls:_Arena That URL should have all the info on Elder Scrolls: Arena which is what my ideas are based on.

• Xx_Charmand3r_xX April 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Those are great ideas MA2357. My basic idea for a great Elder Scrolls movie: Prequel or Sequel to the game series. Either that, or have a side story, have someone play an important role behind the scenes of one of the games.

• Permafrost August 29, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Make a movie from the book, “The Real Barenziah”
        its a major character who was behind the scenes for the first game and a small role in TES II and III. Her story would make for a great film is written by Joss Whedon and directed by J.J. Abrams.

• Xx_Charmand3r_xX April 8, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

• Jimminy July 14, 2013 at 8:18 am #

We open with a small scrawny peasant boy covered in mud. He gets bullied a little and learns to fight while working hard at an honest living as a smith’s apprentice and growing stronger by the year. His best friend is a striving young mage in training and they teach eachother their tricks of the trade, our hero learns some magic and the mage builds his fighting abilities.

A young man wanders into town one day and the two friends witness him pickpocketing. They confront the young thief while he is eying up his next target from behind a bale of hay in a horse’s stable. They fight briefly and eventually after telling the two friends his unruly story, the young thief befriends htem both. During part of his tale, the thief mentions a garrison of imperial troops heading toward teh town and with that, the invasion begins.

Cut to the three friends running and using hteir wits and skills to evade capture. They meet an elder who has visions of the three being a powerful force unlike any in the land before or after. He tells them that one of them is the Dragonborn. Naturally we assume that it is our hero who will become the stuff of legend but as they quest further and eventually into the depths of an ancient Dwarven city buried beneath a mountain where they meet the ghost of a powerful Dragon king of old, they are surprised when he tells them that the young thief is indeed… the Dragonborn.

Crestfallen, our hero is in self dispute, writhing in agony over not being the one of myth and at the same time, happy for his friend. Coming to terms with his lot in life, he strides at the side of his friends anduses his heroics, magic and some helpful tips from his thief friend to aid them in the quest to bbring the Dragonborn to power and defeat the dragons in the land.

Through this journey of self discovery, the hero become a force to be reckoned with and as the apex of trek draws near, the band of heroes meets a Dragon named Parthurnax who finally reveals that our hero is afterall, the Dragonborn and that the dragon spirit always presented a test to the prospective man of legend and that this test proved his will once oand for all.

With that, our hero completes his quest to rid the dragon scourge from Skyrim but in the end, it is only possible witht the help of his companions/

Final shot: the Dragonborn riding a dragon.

M, Night twist: Marlon Wayons plays all characters JK!

• Brian Armstrong July 14, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Wow, well done! Maybe not with Marlon Wayans, but you may be on to something here. :)

• James Farrell October 18, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Staff of chaos

5. Kyle December 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Nicholas Winding Refn as Director.
    Johnny Greenwood for the Musical Score

6. Kyle December 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Nicholas Winding Refn for Director
    Johnny Greenwood for the Musical Score

7. Methos January 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

I really would love to see a movie version of the game, but at the same time I don’t. The Elder Scrolls mythos is so big that you could not possible begin to put the smallest part if that world into a movie. The game works so well because people can play the game for months, completing quests and exploring new places. And that’s just one game of the series. It would be a tall task but possibly could be done, but on a Lord of the Rings scale.

8. Aditya January 29, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Hobbit, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter are all too trivial considering what The Elder Scrolls will bring if they are turned into a movie franchisee

9. RebelDroideka February 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Joss Whedon for director, all the way!

10. Jonathan February 11, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

I have actually been thinking about this for awhile. I want to be a director and writer, I have thought of a few ways that could make this movie work. Story wise use the basic plot from each of the games, thedark brotherhood, thieves guild etc. could be difficult to the story. Characters since elder scrolls is an rpg the main character really can be whatever the writer wants, I am thinking the character should be a native of whatever land that movie is set in Morrowind, Skyrim etc. that’s really the basic stuff. There is multiple ways you could go with this but I think it would be more interesting if each game was a separate movie. Maybe even a movie on the dark brotherhood and thieves guild origins, rise, and their downfall.

• Brian Armstrong February 12, 2013 at 12:54 am #

Really cool idea Jonathan, I love it! Movie #1: “The Elder Scrolls – The Dark Brotherhood Rises” or something like that… .oh man it gives me chills!

• Jonathan February 12, 2013 at 6:28 am #

Another small problem is where to shoot the movie? Mixing green screen and live sets could work. Shooting in New Zealand like the Lord of the Rings could be a start for the live sets, after all Skyrim’s landscape has a lot of mountains and a lot of open rocky areas.
        I think for music John Williams could do a really great job, but you defiantly need to have the music from the games. Steven Spielberg could work as director maybe even team up with Peter Jackson.

11. ady takeru February 20, 2013 at 12:48 am #

i’ll be waiting for this movie in cinema

12. Jonathan February 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

If this isn’t done by the time I get into the business I plan on trying to make this after I get permission of course because I really do feel that this could make a excellent movie.

13. Jack March 2, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

I have been putting together many ideas over the past few months, all based around an Elder Scroll film, specifically Skyrim. Skyrim is the game that has captivated me most out of all of The Elder Scroll games, and I am not much of a gamer; I have spent hundreds of hour delving deep into the world of Skyrim discovering tales and folklore that are all more than good enough to base a film around.
    After I put some ideas together I realised that Skyrim alone could be turned into a trilogy (at a minimum). I think that it would be best to base the film around the main story of Skyrim. This story would create powerful scenes of men against dragons, I also think that to introduce people who are not familiar with The Elder Scroll world, there should be a “prequel” to the main story. My own ideas that I have come up with would show how The Dragonborn was shaped before he knew he was Dragonborn. The prequel should be a tail of deceit to anger audiences and help them connect with the character.
    After a trilogy of films was made about the main story of Skyrim, there could be other films made about Skyrim but they would be “off the side” of the main story and may not even include The Dragonborn. They may be about how The Dark Brotherhood was formed, or The Companions, it could even be set when the Dwarves were still around. Skyrim its self could be have several films made about it, so the whole Elder Scrolls series could have more films made about it than Harry Potter.

14. Jack March 2, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

If I were to be able to choose a director, Steven Speilberg would be my last choice. Sure, he’s done some big scale films, but none of them have been truely outstanding, they’ve just been good.
    Like others have said, Peter Jackson is the one to think of, but, like others have said, he may make it look a lot like LOR. I do think that Peter Jackson should have something to do with it, if it was made but he should be a producer of executive director. As Peter Jackson has already worked with Neill Blomkamp (director and writer of District 9) I think they would make a good collaberation, even though the genre is not Blomkamp’s normal genre. He did put an awful lot of attention to detail in District 9 though, which is why I think he would be good for this.
    Another candidate, like someone else said, is J.J Abrams, I think he would be good at this because he has done quite a few big scale films and so he knows how to get the scale of things onto the screen and obviously and Elder Scrolls film would be one of the biggest scale films ever created, in terms of the landscape.
    The best places to set a Skyrim film would be: New Zealand, Scotland (Old battered mountains), England (Open moorland), North America (The Rockies) and Russia.

• Jonathan March 4, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Spielberg has had plenty of outstanding movies. Jaws is one of the best movies in film history, pretty much a perfect film. I am not sure J.J Abrams be good for this style of movie, hes a great director but he has mainly done SC-FI films so I don’t think he would be good at making a mid-evil, fantasy style movie.

15. Edward March 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

That would be so cool! I can see it now, “Rise of the Dragonborn”. I support you! Awesome idea!

16. Josh March 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

When i first saw the live action trailer for skyrim i thought it would make a great film, always thought the likes of Ridley Scott would make a good director for the film

17. Alex March 12, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Honestly, I think a movie on one of the games would be a bad idea. I prefer the idea of a movie being about an event in the lore, like Tiber Septim’s conquest or 2920, Last Year of the First Era…

• Jack March 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Or about the arch mage shalador and the dragon priests, that would be amazing

18. Gooler March 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

They wrote elderscrolls books you know… They could make them into a movie

• Jack March 31, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

yeah ive seen some of those for sale on amazon..but in the one i read up about the story didnt sound too great

• Jim March 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

No way, if they made the books movies, and split them into two just like the books, that would be epic. The beginning of the first book is a little dry, I’ll even admit that. But it gets good quick after that. Oh, man, where Greg Keyes ends the first book, ugh it’s kiiler. Let’s do a petition! Make the books into movies!

19. Matt April 3, 2013 at 6:43 am #

I would love to see a film made of Morrowind. As for directors, Jackson, Spielberg etc are too obvious and not subtle enough for what could be a very atmospheric, beautiful and profound film. I would go with a director like Peter Weir. I would hate for a film of any Elder Scrolls game to end up like a music video.

20. nick April 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Honestly I agree Guillermo del Toro after pans labrynth would be perfect as director. As for storylines they could follow the life of one of the weapons as then span multiple eras. The best example being the origin rise and fall of umbra. The books did a good job finishing the story of the sword and its pivotal in two of the games. So why not.

21. Xx_Charmand3r_xX April 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

22. Xx_Charmand3r_xX April 8, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

I believe a prequel or sequel on the game series would be best…anyone else agree?

23. Xx_Charmand3r_xX April 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Sorry for all the repetitive comments guys. Stupid laggy internet ;<

24. Jonathan April 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

I think Syrim would make the best movie adaptation. The Civil War side quest would make a great sub-plot to go with the main plot. Here is what I was thinking 4 Elder Scrolls movie maybe 5 Morrowind? Oblivion, Skyrim, and then a movie on the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. I was looking at the rest of the Elder Scrolls games and the plots to them are really movie material besides Obivion Skyrim and possibly Morrowwind. Like I have said before if no decides to do this by the time I become a director I will try to get the rights to make this happen.

25. Jasmine April 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Yes! A movie about the Elder Scrolls Series oh yeah!! Sounds great! I love Oblivion and Skyrim!! Awesome! Peter Jackson is the only one who can pull it off! You put anyone else they will ruin it. I also know which actors will pull it off very well! Let’s put Orlando Bloom as an Elf character and member of the Thieves Guild. Let’s also put Angelina Joile as a Heavy Armor Warrior, member of Imperial Legion, and a Companion. Let’s also put some members of Lord of the Rings for the Mages Guild. Let’s put some members of Gladiator and put them as the Imperial Legion. Russell Crowe would do very nicely as the Imperial Soldier. Morgan Freeman as a Redguard.
    Oh, and don’t forget Johnny Depp would also do nicely in this series. You want great actors for this series. How about Brad Pitt as well. Jennifer Garner is another one.
    You also need someone who will be great as the leader of the Dark Brotherhood…if a guy Jason Issacs would be great to get. Yet about the series keep it to the story do not go off on a tangent by putting a civil war side quest. Keep everything to the story and all quests original. These are some of the actors that will make this series great!!

26. Jasmine April 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Johnny Depp as a Mage, member of the Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood.
    I also think that we can pull off a spin off. How about this series be about 3 to 5 good guy allies VS 3 to 5 bad guys against each other for one mission main quest. You have each character different and help each other on these quests. For instance…. example……Angelina Jolie is an Imperial Soldier, member of the Companions and a Heavy Armor Sword fighter, add Orlando Bloom as an Elf, Light Armor Archer, member of the Thieves Guild and put Tom Cruise in as a Mage, member of Mages Guild and you see them in there own journeys with the main quest in mind as they fight for justice against the evil in the series.
    They help each other on the main quest after you see them fight their own battles on their own individual quests.

27. Jasmine April 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Also Johnny Depp as a Mage and member of the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood against the 3 heros Angelina, Tom Cruise, and Orlando. Just an example. This would be great! Seeing each character on their own quest until they ban together for the main quest. I think this will be brilliant!
    Johnny Depp, Jason Issacs, the evil guys trying to stop the good guys from finishing the main quest. You want to see the different characters in the story since everyone who plays this game is a different character. I myself am a hero in my game of Skyrim. I play the Light Armor Warrior of the Imperial Legion and Mages Guild and am not a Thief nor part of the Dark Brotherhood and I battle against all evil throughout the game. I have a great record of 0 upon crime. I go and help people to be rid of all injustice.
    So then my character would then help the other characters out as allies for one main event. Cool huh?

• adam October 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

I would like to see Seth MacFarlane do with skyrim what he did to the Starwars films. That would be so cool.

28. Jasmine April 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

I say Peter Jackson will do well at this. I say an Oblivion
    trilogy and a Skyrim Trilogy would be great! Just as long as it sticks to the story and all quests. Seeing multiple characters on the big screen is even great!! I hope this can be pulled off. I also want to throw out an another idea for a movie I have been waiting for years for is that Peter Jackson should do Legend of Zelda starring Orlando Bloom as Link and Jason Issacs as Gannondorf. I hope you all get the word out about this too. Legend of Zelda needs to come on the big screen as well. Please find someone to do this movie! It is a classic.
    So I say Peter Jackson’s Elder Scrolls and Legend of Zelda will bring BIG BUCKS and Great New Adventures!!
    He is the best trilogy director ever! Let him do this and he will do it original and make it great!

29. Jack May 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Well, we do have an assassin creed movie coming up, so I think game industry’s will start making movies for thier games, I just think that if the ad film flukes, then everyone else will stay clear of it.

30. Bo June 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

How about a movie telling the storie of Talos! Or the people that slew alduin the first time?!?

31. Matt July 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I agree with not basing it around the games. Apart from Morrowind (the major character being the Neravarine), most of the other charcters we play are somewhat unknown, despite all we’ve done for Tamriel. Instead, we should focus on established lore. The games lore has a history of ambiguity, so perhaps a retelling of Ysgramor or Talos, or the Exodus from Old Elonfey or Yokuda, through the eyes of a bard, would be the way to go. I’d even like to see a movie based on the Invasion of Akavir by Uriel V. Maybe the person retelling the story could be a survivor of Ionith (or perhaps the Emperor himself! So the Dragonblood Emperors could return!). By basing it on lore, you have a set story to follow, but by making it a retelling, it wouldnt have to be Elder Scrolls dogma.

32. TES IV IS AWESOME July 22, 2013 at 10:53 am #

How about TES IV Oblivion movie i mean seriously that would be a awesome think about it Sean Bean=Martin Septim Christopher Lee=Mankar Camoran
    Ian Mckellen=Jauffre Morgan Freeman=Chancellor Ocato
    not sure about a actor for Baurus
    Maggie Smith=Countess of Bruma [i know the countess looks young enough in the but i think maggie would be prefect for the role]
    im not sure who i would pick for hero of kvatch/champion of cyrodil but the person i defiantly wouldnt pick is brad pitt.
    Johnny Depp wouldnt be a bad choice.

Director would have to be Peter Jackson

33. Gavin October 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

As far as plot goes, on the subject of character material, I was thinking that there shouldn’t be just one protagonist, and the story should not simply stay transfixed on one individual. The whole idea is that you can choose what race you are; I’ve thought about it a lot as well, and came to the conclusion that it would be much better, in my opinion, if one, or more, from each race each played a major role. In discussing the different train of events each character would follow, I’d definitely suggest Bethesda have a significant hand in the making, storyline, and production processes. In addition, I love the idea of far less famous actors to play the part; the search for talent should be as epic as the Elder Scrolls adventure itself. I just hope they find me. XD

34. adam October 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Bareziah the movie? HELL YEAH

• Une Baiser May 18, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

Excellent idea

35. stephen November 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

No no. It should be a completely new charecter not in lore though he/she may meet characters from the previous games. For example the CoC as sheo, or he/she could join the companions with the dragonborn as harbinger, I personally would love to see neloth in a movie.

36. Dtpfilms November 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

why not a story about Tiber Septim, the first emperor, foundator of the empire.etc. A film about war ,loss and courage. The director could be joss whedon, j.j abrams or even tim burton (that could be cool), we could see every province like morrowind, skyrim, cyrodiil.etc for the cast i’ll go with someone not too beefy,i don’t think Tiber Septim was a super warrior with hulk muscles, i’d think Micheal Fassbender could be great or anybody else, what do you think?

37. Brandon Walker December 6, 2013 at 4:41 am #

Ysgramor, Talos, The Akaviri, (spell check) Uriel Septim, or one of his descendants could be great story lines! Personally I think Talos (or Ysmir or whatever you want to call him) or the Akaviri would be great choices. They’re both popular and well known enough in the lore to create a franchise off of, lots of battles/wars and political stuff they could use from their stories, but also enough holes for the writer/director to use his creativity in the movie.

38. Sylas December 7, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Or they could just make movies out of the ES novels “The Infernal City” and “Lord of Souls.” Lots of movies that do well come from books, ie. Lord of the Rings and Hunger Games. Making a movie out of one of the games would be risky and most likely a disaster imo.

39. Will Sadler December 14, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

I would personally love to see a movie revolving around the Great War: Thalmor vs Empire. Or perhaps the upcoming Second Great War: a war for all of Tamriel.

If not those, a second choice of mine would be another Akaviri invasion. Or perhaps the original invasion.

40. Dylan Samuel K. January 3, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

I want to be a director and editor. For the past year, ever since I started playing Skyrim, I have wanted to make elder scrolls movie. So here are my thoughts so far:

The Elder Scrolls: Rise of the Empire – This will be based off of The Elder scrolls Online. When I read what it would be about, I guessed it would be about the 3 factions fighting and at the end Tiber Septim would take control. If I am right, I think it would make a great 3 or 3 1/2 hour movie.

The Elder Scrolls: The Oblivion Crisis – Part 1 and 2 – Everything that happens in Oblivion but split up into 2.

The Elder scrolls IV: The Great War – The events that happened between Oblivion and Skyrim where the empire fought the Aldmeri Dominion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Part 1-3 – Oh the events in Skyrim are to large for even 2 movies. Part 1 should end when the hero learns he/she is Dragonborn. Part 2 should end when after he/she finds Esbern. Part 3 should go from there to the end. (I randomly thought of the ends please reply when you think it should end)

The Elder Scrolls IX: The Dark Brotherhood and The Empire – Events go back and forth between The Dark Brotherhood and the Empire until the Titus Mede dies.

The Elder Scrolls X: The Fall of the Empire – We are still not sure what happens after Skyrim, but we can assume that the empire is going to be screwed after the oblivion crisis and the dark brotherhood.

I don’t know where it goes from there, But one last thing: If I actually succeed in this, it will be filmed in England most likely, Why? I don’t like Hollywood. Also, it will be a few years I am currently a sophomore in high school. What do you think of my idea? Please reply.

41. Antje January 30, 2014 at 8:47 am #

The idea of making The Elder Scrolls movie is exciting. I must say that I rather see two or three movies. Look at the Marvel motion pictures: Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Ant Man (coming soon), Thor etc. The Elder Scrolls have enough materials to put together wonderful movies.

But from my opinion, it would be wrong choice to give director seat to Peter Jackson. Look what he’s done to Hobbit. One tiny little book (even smaller than one LOTR book) he turned out to three movies (not very good movies), totally distorted the plot, make an elf to fall in love with dwarf, left behind almost half the pack, revived three hundred years dead orc (Azok), what the hell is Legolas doing here? and the elven king is fag. The only things that hold the movies together is Smaug, Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen and music from Howard Shore (beutiful as always). The LOTR movies were amazing and I think that’s because everything was new and unexperienced (director, actors etc.) and they wanted to make magic movie, movie that has atmosphere. Now I think it’s only rush to make money.

Well, to your questions. I think that some studio SHOULD make The Elder Scrolls movie BUT they should pick some director with vision (not with dollars in his eyes and in his mind). There is no better choice than Jeremy Soule for the music (but the option of Howard Shore or John Williams music is interesting though). I don’t mind the characters because I think that there should be more movies than just one. From my opinion it would be better to put some unknown actors in the movie (so they don’t overshadow the world and the atmosphere) but not entirely new. Serials actors would be perfect I think (for example Cobie Smulders from HIMYM – we know her as Agent Maria Hill in the Avengers – or Emilia Clark from Game of Thrones – i GoT are some very good actors though – etc.) ’cause they known but for the general public unknown.

The story should be prequel or sequel to the games but I think that story directly from Skyrim, Oblivion or Morrowind will be interesting as well. Also filming the books from Greg Keys isn’t bad idea at all. They were pretty good. So, that’s all I wanted to say for now. And please, don’t make jokes from my English, I’m not native English speaker and gramatics is really tough nut for me. Thanx :)

• Incognito April 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

I think that it should have the cool original soundtrack in it .
      Also please do that and make an elder scrolles movie please it would be amazing!!!!

42. Randal m February 22, 2014 at 5:46 am #

They should tell the story of the greatest mystery in the entire series. What happened to the dwarves!

43. Munyuc Manzy April 6, 2014 at 4:06 am #

I have been wanting an Elder Scrolls movie since the dawn of the series. I think that making a movie from the game would be alright- what, with the expanse, the lore and variety already at hand. That being said, I think the material that has already been created leaves the movie possibilities ENDLESS, literally, ENDLESS!!! I’d say it could even give the star wars universe a run for its credits. I could type all day and night about my “fan-boying” and adoration for this series, but I wont. I think J.J. Abrams would be amazing among many more. A not so well-known cast, and obviously, don’t try detail 3 decades of lore and story and characters into 2 and a half hours of film. Take your time and set up the franchise. Please. Please and please. Seriously, PLEASE

44. archmagelordshaidor May 18, 2014 at 9:21 am #

Arch-Mage Shalador played as Mark Wahlberg rest of cast not to known, joss whedon for director and writer because he makes great story but also adds a joke here and there.
    I think that would make the most greatest movie of all time.

45. archmagelordshaidor May 18, 2014 at 9:26 am #

Arch-Mage Shalidor played by Mark Wahlberg rest of cast not to known, joss whedon for director and writer because he makes great story but also adds a joke here and there.
    I think that would make the most greatest movie of all time.