10 Reasons Why The Elder Scrolls Online Will Rule 2013

We don’t even have a release date, but I’m already convinced that The Elder Scrolls Online will be the most talked about, the most played, and the biggest game of 2013. I can hardly stand to wait any longer, so I wanted to share with you ten reasons why I think this will be the case. Whether it’s enjoying a massive, wide open world or being able to stay connected with your friends, this game will have it all. Check out my top-10 reasons why this game will rule the year, and share with us your reasons why it will (or why it won’t) in the comments below.

10) Socially Connected

Many people may scoff at this, but being able to be connected to the outside world while still in game, to me, is a great thing. Whether it’s sending out a tweet while fending off some wolves to invite my friends to join my game, or updating my Facebook status so my high school friends can see just how nerdy I really did turn out, this is a great idea. To me, it doesn’t have to have a lot of features, just let me connect my accounts in a menu somewhere, and then in the chat window just be able to type “/tweet” or something, and my next 140 characters will be sent out into the world.

9) Massive World

Elder Scrolls games are known for being massive, and this game is incorporating the entire continent of Tamriel, meaning the game will be so big there are no words to describe it. With so many place to visit, explore, and adventure through, The Elder Scrolls Online is prepared to offer players years of entertainment. In fact, the scale of the game is said to be even larger than that of existing games, meaning as big as Skyrim is in its current form, it will be even bigger online.

8) The Factions

It’s pretty exciting to me how they have divvied up the races. The Aldmeri Dominion, the Daggerfall Covenant and the Ebonheart pact will be warring with each other, which creates the drama that is needed between payers online. Additionally, it’s great they have a common goal of rising against the Empire, which should provide some fun interactions as each side fights to become the superior faction on the (mega) server.

7) The Mega Server

Speaking of the mega server, this technology amazes (and admittedly) baffles me. I don’t truly understand how I’ll be able to be online with everyone else all at the same time, but not really all in the same place… I don’t know, I’m not even going to try to explain it, I just know it’s cool. So even though I’m on the west coast, I can join up with my east coast friends without having to worry about whether or not I’ve created a character on the right server. They’ll just be there.

6) The Story

Whether you’re interested in your faction’s story, or the personal story of your character, there is sure to be an amazing show unfolding before your eyes. The Elder Scrolls games have not exactly been lean on the storytelling in the past, and there’s no reason to believe Zenimax Online Studios will be skimping here either. Whether it’s enjoying whatever road you take in your quest to get back your soul (which we know is stolen from you at the beginning), or just filling your days with “side quests” and exploring the wilderness, you’ll be able to make your character truly your own, and unlike any other in the game.

5) The Graphics

From what we’ve seen so far, ZeniMax has been pretty modest. At one point they said they would have to tone the graphics down from Skyrim’s levels in order to make the game playable on most machines, but it’s looking more and more like they’ve found a way to work some magic, as the graphics don’t appear to be dumbed down at all. Whether this is just for show or if the game really is being developed this way remains to be seen, but it has me incredibly optimistic that I’ll be playing not only an amazing MMO, but a beautiful one.

4) The PvP

I’ve never been much of a PvP player, but The Elder Scrolls Online has me thinking differently. From the small amount of video footage we’ve seen of huge armies storming the Imperial City, I want to be a part of that! I don’t even care what kind of missions or objectives are put into place, I just want to get in the middle of that epic battle and be a hero, be the one to fend off the last attacker, or be the sole survivor that brings down the wall. Whatever the objectives are in PvP, I can’t wait to get in there and tear it up.

3) The User Interface

One of the things that has always bugged me the most about MMOs is the incredible amount of icons necessary to have on screen at any one time. My Star Wars: The Old Republic characters have more skills on their hotbar than I do in life (ok, maybe that’s not saying much). It’s overkill, it’s distracting, it ruins the immersion, and it’s just ridiculous.

In The Elder Scrolls Online, players will have a minimal amount of icons on-screen. You’ll use your small selection of skills on-screen, and level them up by using them. You don’t have to worry about paying a trainer to level up a skill that you might someday, possibly use. You level up what you use, and whatever else is in that small hotbar at the time. This is such a great idea, and it’s one that will hopefully going a long way towards keeping players in the game, and not being distracted by what skills they need to put where, and in what order to use them. Just go kill something!

2) The Combat

Back when news of The Elder Scrolls Online gameplay broke, I wrote an article on how combat would work. Not much has changed in terms of what we know, but it bears repeating that this will revolutionize MMOs. You engage in combat in this game much like you engage in combat in Skyrim – in real time. You click your mouse to use your weapon, and depending on how well you aimed, you will hit or miss your target. The more successful you are at attacking, and even dodging attacks, you will build up “finesse” points, which you’ll be able to apply to a power move of sorts. Once you deliver this killer blow, you can begin refilling your finesse points and use the move again.

Additionally, as you are playing in the world, whether by yourself or with friends, any time you happen to be engaged in a battle with another player, your attacks have a chance to work together – “in synergy” – and create some amazing attacks. For example, another player may cast a spell that when combined with one of your moves, creates an even bigger, more devastating attack. The game will notify you that this ability is ready to use, and you can wail away on your opponent. It should create a lot of motivation for either grouping up, as it creates a huge benefit to both parties to work together.

1) The Freedom

Last but not least, it wouldn’t be an Elder Scrolls game if you couldn’t play the game the way you wanted. You want to take a race that is predominantly known for being an archer and turning him into a two-handed sword warrior? Go ahead! Maybe you start the game as a sword and board kinda guy, but decide you’d rather switch to archery. Don’t worry about finding someone who will do a skill re-speck for you, just switch! The way the leveling system in this game is designed, any player can use any weapon at any time, so there’s no reason to get rid of the epic axe you just found, even if you think you probably can’t use it. In this game, you can.

Additionally, you don’t have to follow linear quest paths to make progress in the game. Maybe you don’t even want to quest at all? That’s ok! Just head off on an adventure all your own, hunting wildlife, bandits, and who knows what else. You can spend your time in-game any way you want, and you’re not punished for doing so. You’ll still be able to level, you’ll still be able to PvP, and you’ll still be able to hop in with your friends at any time as well. This game will not restrict you in that sense, and players will be wise to spend some time on their own, just seeing what Tamriel has to offer.

Well that’s it guys, my top-10 reasons why The Elder Scrolls Online will rule 2013. I’ll admit, I selfishly wrote this post, just because I wanted to talk about ESO some more. I didn’t have any news to share, but any reason I can come up with that gives me a chance to talk about this game is reason enough for me. I hope you’re all excited for this game, and either way, let me know what you think in the comments below. Remember, this game is being made as an Elder Scrolls game that just happens to also be online. I hope all you doubters out there will give it a chance, and hopefully be blown away by what it has to offer.

Here’s to hoping 2013 hurries up and gets to whenever The Elder Scrolls Online is released…

Brian covers gaming news for the Quest Gaming Network. You can follow him on Twitter at silentfury007, where he also occasionally rambles about music.

187 Responses to “10 Reasons Why The Elder Scrolls Online Will Rule 2013” Subscribe

1. Chris January 21, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Honestly, I am psyched for this. In most MMO’s I get bored after awhile and just stop playing, but I have been playing Skyrim for an entire year and am still at it. If this is truly as similar to the Elder Scrolls series as you guys have been mentioning then I cannot wait to explore Tamriel.

• Brian Armstrong January 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Wigit and Evarwyn, as you probably know, have spent some quality time with the game, and everything they say is pure Elder Scrolls. I can’t wait!

• Killiarn January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

I feel you broh i im so exited :D

• Parker January 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

I agree. Wow, SWTOR, GW2, I always get bored after a while. GW2 kept me longest with the coop looting and free helping in random combat. I’m really looking forward to this MMO.

2. Tyler Michael Jonsson January 21, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Is your reason #10 (the social accounts feature) something you thought would be cool, or is it a stated feature of ESO? (It’s a great idea!)

• Brian Armstrong January 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Well I don’t know the details of how it will work yet, but as I understand it, it’s a feature they want to have fully functional when the game launches. I’ll keep an eye on it for you, I’m really excited for that one!

• Tyler Michael Jonsson January 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

That’s a brilliant idea! Now that I’ve heard it, I am shocked it’s not been done by someone already, Lol.

• Kilruna January 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

in Rift you can Tweet and stuff since years :D

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Good to know, I like this idea!

• Piemonster January 23, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

I love the series. Any word on when it’ll come out for release?

• EradiusLore January 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Has been done, was on rift when that released…

3. Jamie The Skeever King January 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

As a console gamer ESO will not rule 2013 for me. Hopefully Bethesda will put out some Skyrim DLC around the time ESO launches so we don’t feel so left out in the cold.

• SonOfTamriel January 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Get a PC, dream on console boy.

• josh January 23, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Bethasda inst the one making the game. they are simply publishing and help with little things, not actually doing that much towards the game. buy im psyched as bethasda have been informing zenimax on lore so they get everything just right.

• msa January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

They’ll “get everything right” just like they did Cyrodiil (which was supposed to be a jungle at this point, but isn’t) and the incredibly goofy race grouping, in which three of them absolutely loathe each other and is against every bit of lore from the actual TES games. This thing isn’t TES Online, it’s DaoC 2 with a thin coat of paint slapped on it.

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

There is actually a bit of lore concerning the ebonheart pack if that’s what your referring to, they repelled an invasion together…

• z. January 23, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Heh, you should be felt left out in the cold.

• Jamie The Skeever King January 23, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Stay classy PC players.

• Andrew February 3, 2013 at 12:32 am #

Don’t let this one comment be representative of all PC gamers…I have a PS3, XBOX360 and a gaming PC. It’s nice to dabble in all parts of the gaming industry.

• Keegan January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

I play either 360 or computer, but i only play MODA’s(Dota etc.) and MMO’s on the computer. Most RPG’s, Racing games,whatever, i play on my xbox.

• Chewyy January 23, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Console gamers always get Bethesda games first, notably Elder Scrolls, how is that being left out in the cold?

• Brian January 24, 2013 at 10:13 am #

TES was originally and still is a PC game. After Morrowind it became more of a console port which was found to be more limiting in scope.

As a fan of the series since the mid 90′s I can feel relieved to know it will bring back the focus of the first three games in the series even though it takes place during the fall of the second age.

• chris June 26, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

Eso will kick ass on console.

• Loxosceles January 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Really? I remember playing Oblivion on PC a year before it was released on Xbox. The thing was Bethesda used to make these games primarily for the PC because players could create their own shops, loot hunts, and other addons for the game. I grew up playing Elder Scrolls, and I own all platform consoles, and a killer PC. I can’t wait to slaughter all the whiners in this game. Hope you got your knee pads…

• TheHurr January 25, 2013 at 2:42 am #

PC MASTER RACE

4. Thayn January 22, 2013 at 8:59 am #

I thought the podcast where the experience of playing ESO really sold it for me. If it’s half as good as it was portrayed to be in that podcast, it’ll be twice as good as anything out there.

I would have played it anyway (It’s Elder Scrolls, after all), but this will definitely be the first one worth getting in quite some time.

• Jacob January 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Since Its not Bethesda game studios that works on TESO,they will probably focus on DLC’s

• HippyH8r January 24, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Zenimax media owns them both. Betheda will milk a few more dollars out of Skyrim via dlc’s then be folded into Zenimax Online to create the new dlc areas. The game will eventually fold, like almost every other mmo, Zenimax online will be cut loose, Bethesda will be gone and the francise will be left a smoking ruin.

5. Shank January 22, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Great article dude. Your numbers 9, 5, and 1 are spot on. Although personally, They would have been my 2, 1, and 3 personally :D

You hit on some very good points in here and as a huge fan of the series, I can’t wait for this game. All these are very good reasons why this game will just absolutely dominate this year.

It’s rather fortunate that two separate companies are developing the single-player TES games and ESO. At least this way, we’ll get a more consistent dosing of Elder Scrolls :D :D

6. Bill Oddie January 23, 2013 at 5:08 am #

Big question is Logitech peripheral xbox style controller for the PC , will it be compatable ?

I listen to the podcasts occasionally when you lot get serious .

if you are serious about discovering medieval and elder scrolls visual experience check us out , Bethesda devs are members so we are doing something right here at the brotherhood http://www.facebook.com/groups/65384320534/

• Shank January 23, 2013 at 8:25 am #

In our last podcast , Evarwyn mentions that ZOS has stated that they are primarily developing this for keyboard and mouse. I always use a controller on my PC so I hope controller functionality is implemented down the line

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 10:57 am #

Most, if not all, MMOs are strictly set up to use mouse and keyboard, as there are so many skills/commands to use. However, with ESO’s simplified user interface, I’d say there’s a small chance of them implementing controller support.

But shank, let me do an analogy for you. You loved Skyrim on Xbox and then discovered how much better it could be on PC, right? I would use the same logic to say you should try the mouse/keyboard in Skyrim and other PC games. I think, once you get used to it, you’ll find that combo way more accurate and versatile than the controller. And if nothing else, it will help prepare you for ESO if they DON’T include controller support.

Just my two cents! :)

• Dreamerblade January 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

TERA and a few other Action-Based MMOs use controllers and it works very well. The only problem comes from typing to communicate with people.

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Thanks to you, and a few other people for pointing this out. I haven;t played those games here controllers work, so it’s good to hear it’s been implemented previously. Personally, I’ll be sticking with the mouse and keyboard, but I would be encouraged if controller support was added, simply because it will get more of my friends into the game as well.

• dave January 24, 2013 at 11:57 am #

FFXI supported controllers since its release in 2002 as well =)

• Schatten January 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

This is exactly what I am doing right now, generally I’ve played with the 360 controller on pc. But I just switched over to keyboard and mouse in preparation for ESO. So stoked for this game!

• Lanceknight January 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

i also to use a controller for mmos. i use a program called xpadder that maps your controller onto your keyboard. What is awesome also i found it actually increased my pvping skills compared to keyboard and mouse

7. Steph January 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Cannot wait for this sooooo excited been telling everyone I can lay my hands on about. Ive got people who don’t even play mmo’s excited about it just because they love elder scrolls so much! Ive shown one of my gamer nerd buddies the trailers for this and they shouted at me for showing it them before it was out because now they are obsessively following it like me! Bring on launch 2013!

• Samuel February 10, 2013 at 1:42 am #

HEY Steph IM SO AMPED About ESO TOOOOOO My Biggest Game of 2013 for sure
      from all accounts its gonna be pure elderscrolls^^

And thats just what i want to hear look me up names elderscollsam

8. B. January 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

I’m so damn excited about this game! Signed for beta, now waiting reply. I’m 100% sure that this game will be the best for some next 5 years – until ESO 2 will be released! ;D
    Only thing that kinda bothers me is: I don’t know HOW huge world will be. If it is mega server, it means A LOT of people will be playing it, and afraid that when I’ll go to some location, other stronger player will just “steal” it from me…
    But I’m pretty sure that developer took it into consideration, and it won’t be so. Anyways, I’m sure it will be THE GAME!

• Dave January 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

I am sure they are going to make separate instances of the same zone so that a single place isn’t flooded with people, which would make everyone lag as hell (think of starting places). With instancing, you can be in the same server as everyone without actually seeing them, but you can still switch over to their instance and play with them. Take SWToR for example, there are at least 2 instances of every planet and place, so that there is not too much players at the same spot at the same time.

• Phil January 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

The “single zone flooded” thing is only a problem if the game designers make it so that only a single zone is appropriate for skilling up at (level X)

Elder Scrolls games havent been like that. So ESO had better not be like that either. Otherwise, it will fail, plain and simple.
        You dont need “instances” of the same thing. You need multiple areas of the same level of difficulty. Hopefully, they’re going to take the second route.

Programmatically, its not that difficult, if you first manage to come up with some kind of fractal terrain/dungeon generator to generate this “massive world”.
        They do a lot of 3d object reuse in skyrim. They could do the same thing for this.

9. c January 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

#11 – mac on day 1… thank you.

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Amen! Good point, I forgot that one. Good on you, ZeniMax.

• Andy January 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

I’m a pc user, but I’ve always thought it was bunk for some companies to not add support for macs. I am glad, and hope that zenimax and bethesda will offer mac options for all of their games in the future.

10. bloger aceh January 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

this is a good news, this game is realy good. i hope will free to play this one, if zenimax wanted to collect some huge money, they can use market to sell Rare item in this game,, that is good deal yeah.. :D

11. nervious January 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

awesome guys! keep up the good work :)

12. Evan M January 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

As if you guys needed to give me MORE reasons for me to play. I’m so excited, you could describe it as being ‘giddy’.

I won’t bash other MMO’s I’ve played (I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve had with them), but from this top 10 list, I can tell that you guys have a good idea of what players liked, and didn’t like. My main reason for thinking so, is your number 1 reason. The freedom Elders Scrolls has always offered is the best part.

I cannot wait….well, I can, but It’s rather difficult. :P

13. haarp January 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

“Speaking of the mega server, this technology amazes (and admittedly) baffles me. I don’t truly understand how I’ll be able to be online with everyone else ”

Easy. Look at the original Guild Wars – you simply select what instance you want to play in. It’s crap if you like the social aspect of MMOs (creating enemies or allies and teaming up, you’ll rarely see those players again if at all). Persistent worlds are best.

• Draven January 24, 2013 at 2:14 am #

Wrong it will be more like The Secret World, where all servers can talk in general chat and you can invite all players from any server to your party, after your in the same party you or they can then jump to either server to party in the open and persistent world on yours or their server. This is not instanced world like Guild Wars, it be more akin to WoW phazing then to GW1 instanced.

14. Tom January 23, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Hey SilentFury,

I can’t wait for this epic game, but 1 question, do you know if you die in the online game and re-spawn, do you have your stuff again? or is it all gone then?

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

That’s a good question, I personally don’t know the answer to this, but I’ll see if I can dig it up.

• Schatten January 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

What I’ve heard is you will have 2 options. 1) You will respawn at a previously chosen wayshrine with no negative effects. or 2) You can respawn at your body with some kind of debuff or some such. Either way, you will keep all your gear.

15. The One January 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I’m going to ask the question that everyone wants to know: When is it released?

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

March 5! And if you believe that, I’ve got some other junk to sell you. :) I honestly have no idea, and I’m sure there is no set release date even at ZeniMax yet. At this point, they’re going to go through some beta testing and see how close they are to being ready to move forward, and I expect we’ll get a better idea of a release date in the next couple months… but again, I have no idea. :)

16. Screwmouth January 23, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

I’m very hesitant about this. I feel like the scale point you make is moot, since this is a more traditional, WoW-like MMO style of combat, not actual one-click is a swing-of-a-sword Action RPG that we’ve come to know from the series proper. Sure, the map is technically larger, but the actual experience of gameplay- one of character and environment models with the minimum amount of complexity in order to allow large groups of players on a map at once- is going to be a far cry from the luscious detail and immediate intensity of Oblivion and Skyrim. In a way, the world will shrink. There will be more to see, but less depth to each part. That, at least, is what differentiates WoW and its ilk from the likes of Skyrim for me, and what I fear may befall this game as well.

• Carbonsage January 23, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

The combat in this game will be almost exactly like third person combat in Skyrim. So yes, it will be a one click is a swing of the sword kind of RPG.

• Xem January 24, 2013 at 10:59 am #

No no, it’s very similar to Skyrim. There’s been some people who have gotten some hands-on play with the game that have stated, and even devs that have also stated, that you click your mouse and you swing your weapon. When you click the other button on your mouse (if you have a shield) you will bring it up to block. Just like in Skyrim and previous entries. When you hold down the attack mouse button you do a charge attack, just like previous entries. They’ve been trying to make this very clear to the general populace so that people don’t get mistaken and write them off. This WILL be Elder Scrolls, you can bank on it.

17. Bantara January 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Frankly, 7, 4, and to some degree 1 have already been done, and all in the same place at that.

I’m sure ESO will take off when it debuts, though I’m not sure about its longevity. I predict it will fair better than some other fantasy games like LOTR thanks to the sandbox/non-linear design.

I think ESO missed a high mark by not opening up more the guilds and such more. In all the ES games I’ve substantially played(3-6) you can become head of local guild and such. In ESO it looks like all you can do is mission for the various guilds/factions and take part in the 3-faction struggle. Maybe my impressions are old, but it seems like they could have opened the game up a whole lot more.

If I’m wrong/out-of-date, that would be exciting, cause I’m a huge fan of the 1P RPG series. But if I’m going to be part of a persistent world, I need a pragmatic and far-vision reason to continue paying and playing. No way I’ll be moving my limited RL resources from my current MMO where player shape the world every day to one where I would just enjoy the ride.

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

We’ll have to wait and see how the guild system works. I see what you’re saying, but from a developers angle, how can they make a game where you rise and become the master of a guild in a world of millions of other players all doing the same thing? I will miss it if there’s not some level of “accomplishment” and finality with the guilds, but I’ll hold judgement on that part until I actually see it. We’ll keep an eye on this for you.

• MARPJ February 7, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Yeah, the sense of mission accomplished in the guild on TES games are incredible, and if ESO don’t have a system to evolve in the guild’s ranks will be a fail.
        But, ESO have the “Emperor” system, then it is possible to have a way to reach a the top of the guilds too.
        Well, now is wait and see what they will do, but I have high hopes on this game!

18. aethius January 23, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

I just think the game still looks too cartoonish. I got spoiled by Skyrim and it’s dark-serious feel. Also, the character animations still look childish (for now!)
    I hope the game will look little less colorfully and more dark :)
    But I’m still looking positive about this!

• Phil January 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

ugh.. there’s wayyyy too many “dark” games on the market.
      Enough of the EMO! How about just realistic? !!

19. Evan January 23, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Signed up for Beta yesterday, I can not wait for this game! Ever since I played Morrowind as a kid I wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO. Definitely my most anticipated game of 2013, or really ever.

20. kaiser.avm January 23, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Thx for all the information i had my doubts cleared about this game after i saw in youtube a video reviewing the alpha, but it seems there was more to the game that we could not expect and i hope it stays like that it would be bad if all this hype were feeling would be disappointed, but ill trust that Bethesda and Zenimax Online Studios will deliver a superb new online experience =).

21. Sam January 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Having a hard time reading this with the background :/

• Sam January 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Ops nvm! something was wrong with my second screen :O

22. Chris January 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Great article, but i have to disagree on number 8) It’s the greatest disappointment for me so far,by dividing the races to factions, why don’t they let you choose your faction later in the game, like in Star Wars Galaxies, i always liked the freedom the player has in the Elderscrolls games, and by choosing a faction for you (if you want to play your favorite race) they take away some freedoms for you. Also when you like to play with your Friends, you can’T play in the same Faction without limiting the choices of Races (you can’t play as Redguard together with a Kahjiit)

Sorry for my bad english

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

I totally get your point, and to be honest, at first I was concerned about that too. I still am quite frankly. But i think it was necessary in order to give the game/world some purpose. It’s the MMO part creeping into our Skyrim/single player games, but I think that this is something they’ll do very well. I have faith that these guys can craft a great story that makes it all worthwhile.

• Chris January 23, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

I understandthat it is easier, to put the Races in Factions, so the Player has to choose, the Faction with his Favorite Race, this might balance the Factions better, but i simply expectet more from an Elderscrolls game, i mean they can Force you to join a Faction at some “Level” in the game or something like that and it has been done before, with the new WoW Race (i don’t know the name), in Star Wars The Old Republic you had the opportunity to play as most Races in both Faction, andStar Wars Galaxies (My Rolemodel in that case) had a good way to deal with it. I didn’t expectet, that ESO will be that deep in Storytelling, that you have Ideolagical Reasons to Join a Faction(but that would be awesome) but this is just to simple, i think they mist a great opportunity, in Morrowind, there was Racism and slavery towards Kahjiit and Argonian,in Skyrim you get involved in a civil war , so you could have an Faction based on that or other views a bit more political… instead it seems like they just put the Races into Faction by geographical Borders, it’s seems a bit lazy. I’m just really disappointet by that and i’m pretty sure they’ll make great background stories for the Factions etc and i’m kinda exceptet that i won’t play a kahjiit (my favorite Race) because i don’t like their faction and i will play with friends so i have to make compromises.
        Sorry to dwell on this point the whole time, but this really bugs me..
        I totally agree on the other Points you mentionend, but Point 8)in my opinion simply doesn’t belong on a top ten list, it’s just inelegant in the way they devided the Races (but i have to admit, i do like that there are 3 Factions instead of 2 like in most MMOs)

• aethius January 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

I don’t like that part either. I always play Nord and nothing else. So I’m bound to play in this faction that I actually dislike. Also, I can meet someone who I can play with, but he will be in another faction. So the thing with mega server is not THAT helpful, if you look at it that way.

23. CrusaderXXVI January 23, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

So pumped for this game!! Do you know if we will have to play a monthly membership? or is it a one time buy?

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

ZeniMax has not released their business model yet, so unfortunately I don’t know the answer to that, But you can bet we’ll keep you posted on that one! I am eager to find this out as well…

• Rob January 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

My tip is $15/month, switching to a F2P model inside six months.

• aethius January 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

If it will be monthly, I’m sure not going to play it. If it will be one time buy, then yes

• Loxosceles January 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Yeah, yeah… Because all the Skyrim DLC is free right? Because the people who work for software companies should work for free too right? Where is your head at?

There is a saying; Cheap work ain’t good and good work ain’t cheap.

$15.00 a month is peanuts, go play checkers if it’s extending your budget.

24. Robert January 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

#7, i believe it will be like a phase type thing, like in DC universe.
    Where if your character completed a quest witch changed something big… you wont be able to see the ppl who have NOT completed it, (Or completed it in a different way then you have) They will be there, but they will be hidden UNLESS, you add them as a friend, then, they will appear there, for you.

25. Kurtk January 23, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

My real concern is how unique and original the mechanics and systems will be. I like the sound of minimal UI, but I want to know if they are bringing back an updated formula for the old attribute system. If they don’t, and they keep to a system like Skyrim’s, where my only options are Health, Magicka, and Fatigue, ESO may be an uncomfortable ride for me. If they do come back with Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, etc, and also break apart the skill categories back down to the specific weapon type, then seeing actual unique character builds from everyone would make ESO dominate 2013 for me.

26. Az January 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

I’ve always played imperial, the lack of that possibility is prejudicing me against this game.

27. Kristine Sandy January 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

Do you think that even those who want to play by themselves will be able to? My husband and I game, and use to play WoW all the time. And it just got annoying that with everything we had to make sure we were in a group with others. I guess I understand for the things that had the big dudes that you would need more than one person, but overall do you think that it could be played by oneself, and not be part of a guild or group?

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

ZeniMax is designing this game so that both solo and group fans will enjoy the experience. From what we’ve heard, at the beginning of the game you’ll fill out something like a survey, which will help the game determine which “shard” of the server to put you on, so if you answer the questions in a way that moves you into a fan of soloing, you’ll be put into parts of the server where other solo players are. I don’t know what kind of end game content there will be, and yes, that might require a group, but you won’t be forced into groups to play the majority of the game. Enjoy!

• Kristine Sandy January 23, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Found this on their website: haha…duh. “Yes, The Elder Scrolls Online can be played solo, together with friends, or in large guilds and alliances.”

• bluwalker February 26, 2013 at 6:53 am #

They have already said that you can explore, hunt , craft etc pretty much at your own pace and still level., as for guilds., my best advise is not to jump into one too quickly and not to be afraid to ask them what they expect from a guild member., that way you find a guild that can be flexable enough to help you if you are stuck on an important quest but still leave you to have the freedom to do your own thing. my partial dislike of guilds stems from playing Fiesta online., when even the simple quests had people yelling for guild support., this can cut into your own enjoyment of the game and was one of the reasons I gave up that guild and the game too.

28. Xero January 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

While I respect your opinion on Social Connectivity, I would hate to have it implemented. When I’m playing an MMO, or really any game for that matter, I like to get immersed in it. Seeing a silly tweet/share button would remove me from that immersion. The last thing I want to do when I REALLY get into a game is think about the outside world.

• Xero January 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

I’d also like to ask your opinion on something that bugs me about every MMO in existance. Gear appearance and stats. We all know that once you hit a certain plateau your gear is going to look like everyone else because there is that one set that is better than all the others. Do you think ESO is going to do something else along these lines or will they be forgiving and let me use what gear I want because it looks cool and not severely punish me for it?

• Kristine Sandy January 23, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I am not sure if this will entirely answer your question but they do talk about the gear and etc in this vid.

• Xero January 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Ya I watched that. He states “The gear you use is up to you.” But then goes to say “If you want to use heavy armor with a bow…etc” It was a very generalized statement about gear. Thanks though.

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

A good question, unfortunately I don’t know any specifics there. I would imagine that you’ll have the ability to use different armor sets without a huge penalty, just because f the nature of the leveling system, they’ll almost have to allow for some flexibility.

• Schatten January 23, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I like what EQ2 has/d where sure, everyone had the best gear, but there was a separate appearance slot, and you could put whatever you wanted there and it didn’t effect your stats, but changed what it looked like you were wearing. It was awesome for roleplaying!

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

I totally hear you. I think this issue is a personal one, some people will love it, some will hate it. Me, I’ll love it. But I have friends who will hate it. Hopefully there’s a check box that allows you to disable this feature if you don’t want it.

• Rob January 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Well, I imagine you have to tell the game what your social networks are. It wouldn’t just know them, by magic. So if you don’t want to be bothered by them, don’t give the game access to them. Problem solved.

29. Ondřej January 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I think the reason:
    3) is extremly bad reason, i dont want to be forced play without possiblities to have a big GUI or minimal GUI. The GUI shouldnt be minimalisic – it should have an option to be minimalistic instead and to be fully customizable.
    4) This will be extremly hard to balance – hope it wont end up like two groups shooting spells from maximum range for an hour, I am personally looking forward to small group PvP.
    5) Why not give players with better machine option to have same or better graphics then Skyrim had?
    MMOes are about having an option, freedom of choice. This will be the best game of 2013 no doubts – question is how much are devs willing to learn from mistakes of other MMOes in launch and prevent those mistakes.

• Rob January 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

“… question is how much are devs willing to learn from mistakes of other MMOes in launch and prevent those mistakes.”

Given how EVERY developer says they’ve learned from other MMOs yet, when you play their game, they still make the same mistakes, I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in it. Thus far, ESO is shaping up to be a lot like GW2 — even some of the stuff they say in the promotional video is almost word for word GW2s philosophy — and GW2 certainly hasn’t kept people’s interest, and it’s not even half a year old yet.

30. patinho January 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

let’s see if you can beat Tibia that has been one of the biggest MMORPG there

• Brian January 24, 2013 at 10:38 am #

I’ve played just about every MMO since the first in ’95.

(The Realm, Meridian 59, Ultima Online, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Asherons Call, AC2, EQ2, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Warcraft, Shadowbane, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, Rift, Guild Wars 1, GW2, TERA)

Tibia falls under the radar for a lot of people as it was basically UO without the “previous titles” backing.

31. Rob January 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Putting aside the excitement and hyperbole, ESO is shaping up to be GW2 with a different combat system and, worse, a $15/month fee. People are going to knock through the content, then get bored with raiding and/or PvP after awhile. It’s how ALL theme park MMOs shake out.

• Brian Armstrong January 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

To be fair, we don’t know all those specifics yet. I think we need to wait and see what kind of end game content they roll out before we can start saying we’ll get bored. You may end up being right, but at this point it’s fair to say.

• Rob January 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

In theory, you are right. In practice, however, no theme park MMO has actually managed to have a decent end game that has stopped “most” people getting bored with it. The answer, to my mind, is having some sandbox options in the mix but, it seems, there will be less sandbox in the online game than in the single player games.

• Evan M January 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

What other games have become has very little to do with how this game will turn out.

Did you ever play Mario? It’s interesting how simple fun can make a game great. Being compelled to play a game for any reason aside from having fun is faulty in nature.

• Rob January 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

“In theory he’s right, but in practice, your theory is correct? I don’t think you understand what you’re saying.”

You don’t think I understand what I said? Way to be patronising, dude. Let me explain it to you, because what I said was perfectly understandable.

SilentFury said we don’t know all the specifics yet and need to wait and see what kind of end game content they roll out before we can start saying we’ll get bored.

In theory, ^^^ is right. We don’t know these things.

But, in practice, no theme park MMO has actually managed to have a decent end game that has stopped “most” people getting bored with it.

Apologies to those who have now had to read my POV twice, but Evan seemed to need it specially laid out for him.

• Evan M January 24, 2013 at 1:52 am #

It’s a good thing, too. I misread what you said, and misunderstood the general intention of your post.

I apologize.

• Evan M January 24, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Although, it was your initial post which allowed me to assume so much.

I really don’t think there’s an awful lot of ground available to predict the final outcome…as what was already mentioned.

32. Jeppe January 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

This looks to freaking sick. im gonna love this.

33. elin January 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

so the combat is an action combat system
    yay!
    make it work similar to how tera works (no targeting at all even for ranged) and i will play the hell out of this game

34. Felipe January 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Perfect! are 10 excellent reasons to get extremely anxious! I hope they call me for the beta xD

35. War January 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Can’t wait for ESO, been playing since morrowind and haven’t seen a wrong turn from elder scrolls yet! Especially like #2 and #4

• Different Josh January 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

I love elder scrolls but I don’t care much for MMOs, too many jerks (being polite) and 12 year old trash talkers who think they are all that, just like COD. Ruins the game. Good luck paying whatever monthly fee in this economy.

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

The ignore button works wonders for those “jerks” as well as simply not grouping with people like that. There will always be elitist individuals but don’t let them scare you away from MMO’s, they have a better social UI than COD.

36. iglxxx January 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

looking forward to slay some dragons( as well )

• Ethan January 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

I’m afraid this is a long time before the Skyrim time period, bud! No dragons. Dragonlike creatures, sure! But not Skyrim dragons =(

37. Chris W.C. January 23, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

While the whole spectacle has me salivating, the gameplay mechanics proposed indicate the possibility of heavy corruption of the longstanding lore of the Elder Scrolls universe. I will most likely play this game, but if anything in it becomes canon I will be extremely unhappy. I’ve heard that the Elder Scrolls themselves have been reduced to 1-time skill enhancement items, which is a complete abhorration (sp?) of the lore. As a lore junkie, I find that to be disappointing.

• Rob January 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

I would find it unlikely that they would put out a brand new game, gathering probably their biggest audience to date and then explicitly say, “None of this is canon.” Indeed, I think the inference is that it will be all canon.

• Matt January 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

(Its aberration, if it matters)

From what I’ve seen, it looks like Elder Scrolls are long term buffs for as long as a faction has it in there stronghold.

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Would you rather go blind after your 50th time touching of carrying the elder scroll. To simply have it in your possession doesn’t indicate you have the wherewithall to actually utilize it. Most other aspects of the history, I’ve read, is given plenty of room according to the time period since their was many years of civil war that has little history.

38. gabriel chabot January 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    i just started to play skyrim..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

39. Peter January 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

You forget about one thing which is truly amazing for MMO. All NPCs are voiceovered

40. Sivuden January 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Wondering about how some of the other aspects of TES will be handled, I.e. production skills like alchemy, smithing, enchanting, and the like. I really hope they limit the best gear to player crafting only, so that someone who doesnt want to quest, PVP, etc, but really wants to just become a master smith can set up shop and simply buy resources and turn it into amazing gear for sale. (I think it’d be boring to do -just- that, but who knows! TES was always about options!)

41. Andrew January 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare MMO style, I’m sure.

42. Kenan January 23, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

I am scared of this. Just imagine thousands of Dovahkiins :\

43. Cameron January 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

The #1 reason (“The Freedom”) has revived my nagging thought and hope/fear about combat variety.
    On that note, I’m curious if it will be possible to engage in combat as an unarmed character and progress viably, or if it’s pretty much a requirement to use either a weapon or magic. If unarmed combat is viable, is it viable for all races, or only Kha’jit (given that they’re the only race that had an unarmed damage bonus in Skyrim).

• Sandy Pahrens February 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

There are A LOT of people who are curious about the unarmed combat aspect on Elder Scrolls Online. They need to release something about it.

44. Aldy Rasyid Abe January 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Is there going to be a home I can purchase if I play solo? And let’s say that I able to buy that house, will other players able to steal stuff from my house? :p

45. Ethan January 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

I’m honestly just incredibly happy that its being launched on a Mac platform as well as a PC platform! I’ll be able to play with all my PC friends without waiting for a port! SO EXCITED!

46. Stephen Q January 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

This background is what im using for my wallpaper.

47. Lawrence January 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

I didn’t like was how they were talking about how awesome it is that you can be a sneaky healer, or a tank with a bow. Sure, you CAN do that, but we all know that the guides on Tankspot and Allakhazam etc will have the optimum builds for every class about a month after launch and you’d better follow them exactly, by god, or you won’t be getting a group.

48. XLouisGamerX January 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

The Elder scrolls online look…..TOTALLY AMAZING I WISH I COULD PLAY THIS !!!! soon !!!! :)

49. Jesiah Vankirk January 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

i have an xbox360 i have dawnguard so i reccamend you play marrowind,obliveon,skyrim,skyrim dawnguard first befor you play online

• Brian January 24, 2013 at 10:46 am #

You’ll also need to play Arena and Daggerfall as it’s closer to the timeline and similiar in the lore. The game will also feel like those games in a sense that you’ll get to explore all of Tamriel.

50. Lucas January 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

I need to play this closed beta, impatient to play TES Online

51. Mark January 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Extremely hesitant about this venture off into online territory. It’s not what Elder Scrolls was build upon and I fear it will fail. People don’t have as much time as they used to in order to invest into a fully evolving online world. I know I don’t have time and thats why I prefer games that let me pick up and play whenever I want, save, and then repeat. I will feel like I am missing something if I’m not glued to an online environment 24/7

52. cass January 23, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

This was a pretty good article but it needs a different background. I had a pretty hard time reading it

53. Gisei January 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

I’m not a PVP fan as well, since most of the time I get destroyed by a player with a lower level than me just because that player focused on one attribute while i try to balance it out. It always baffles me in some way, but seeing as though Elder Scrolls online won’t be following the same combat system as the previous MMORPG’s all you need now is fast hands and no lag.

54. Roger January 23, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

No metion to Crafting, No mention on Housing, No mention on Marketplace, bored ! :(

55. Lucifer's Heaven January 23, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

This kind of annoys me a bit.

10) Could be interesting, I am curious to see how this turns out
    9) Theoretically true, except, that, well, most of it won’t be explorable on release. And yes, there is good potential for expansion, but I don’t know that it’s going to be any bigger than a lot of other MMOs on release. Guild Wars 2 (which I may be comparing to a few times as it is the most recently released AAA MMO to compare to) had a huge amount of space and also has a ridiculous amount of potential room to expand.
    8) The factions so far seem a little forced. Especially the part where they are making things the same across them. Things like making the Khajiit a “strength focussed” race, because the Altmer are magic and the Bosmer are agility, and they “have” to have a strength, agility and magic focussed race in each alliance. *sigh* There is such a thing as asymmetrical teams that are still balanced.
    7) It’s just a big server with lots of mirrors. That’s not particularly new, lots of MMOs use mirrors. It has some really clever sounding ideas for how it will decide which mirror to load you into and with whom, that could be really cool. From a tech side it’s not very amazing though. Heck Eve Online has only one server and NO mirrors, EVERYBODY plays in the same game space and can run across everybody else. It’s done that since it launched and it’s 10 years old. And now they’re adding a completely different game to that server for real time interaction. THAT is amazing tech.
    6) Should hopefully be good or better :)
    5) Okay, the graphics look good, damn good for an MMO, but they’re definitely a solid chunk down from Skyrim. If you can’t see the difference then… Well I suppose that has some positives and negatives for you.
    4) So far, most of the footage looks a lot like Guild Wars 2 WvW footage. Which I think is great, but like a few bits here it speaks more of the author’s isolation from a lot of other good games out there than it does of this game being unique. And yes the big PvP in this could be different and awesome, but we haven’t seen that in the videos yet. And on top of that they have pretty much stated that they’re aiming for war like Dark Age of Camelot’s, they even have a dev from that game heading the team doing the PvP.
    3) Another point that’s easy to compare with Guild Wars 2, and in fact Guild Wars. Which actually started the whole “use less slots to make interesting builds” idea that this game is using.
    2) No. This is not the first MMO to be using click to swing. Not by a long shot. Don’t get me wrong, I greatly prefer this sort of combat, and TESO using it is good. But this game isn’t the start of a revolution. Again, author’s ignorance.
    1) What’s that you say? Freedom? You mean I am free to play my character how I want? I can make my own class? I can foray into enemy territory to do dangerous missions or just sabotage their stuff? I can steal anything that isn’t furniture? I have a choice of whose side I am on? I can become an expatriate, because I am an individual not a racial drone.
    No. No I can’t do any of that.
    I do love that any race can play any class (another not new, but good feature), and I love that all classes can use any weapon and any armour and that your available skills change to reflect this. That’s great.
    Not having to do the whole quest hubs thing and being able to level by just exploring and joining in is also neat. Again though, ground already broken. Good it’s in there, but not a new idea.

That’s pretty much why it annoyed me. They really do have some great ideas, and are implementing some other peoples great ideas. Possibly even doing a better job of some of them. But a lot of the stuff I read about the game seems to try really hard to make ALL of the stuff they’re doing sound like their own original unique ideas and they’re the first to do them and they’re revolutionising MMOs in each of those areas. Which is just downright lying.
    It could have been written with all the same points, but more measured, with less…PR style information. Nothing wrong with not pretending every feature is new and unique. Some of the best games are collections of features from other games, that are done really well (possibly with a unique twist) and put together really well.
    I much prefer a more honest preview.

• Brian Armstrong January 24, 2013 at 2:33 am #

I respect your opinions, but calling me ignorant and insinuating that I am putting “the company spin” on this is pushing it a bit. I’m just a fan, I have a family, and a full time job. Any free time I have left (which is not much) is spent playing as many games as possible, but admittedly I can’t play them all. It’s also awesome to be called a liar, and I WOULD take offense to that, but I’d rather just laugh and chalk it up to my ignorance. :)

But seriously, thanks for reading, and truly, for your thoughtful response. I appreciate your feedback. As we learn more about the game I’ll dive in as deep as I can, and if I feel like any of my ten reasons for being excited are no longer valid, I’ll let you know. But until then, I stand by my top 10.

And hey, if you’re not already, be sure to listen to the guys on Elder Scrolls Off the Record. They actually got to play the game, and have more knowledge on this subject than most people out there.

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

I haven’t even heard of some the games that you mention in your post had to /google them to be honest, but I take what I assume to be a different perspective on the way things are presented. I assume that almost all new ideas as far as gaming has been discovered, thought of, or technology simply hasn’t provided us the opportunity to attempt them yet. That being said, I understand ESO is not unique but I would totally have to agree with the top 10 reasons this game will be great, I call this a morrowind, oblivion, skyrim INSPIRED MMO. All of the complications that restrict the most played MMO’s still exist and are problems that much be contended with but they have utilized, whether original or not, designs and tools to alleviate possible difficulties. The best thing I can think of, in an mmo environment, that makes the game special to me is the synergy of player combat that comes from grouping, and the ability to specifically choose my armor style. (heavy armor gives more stam and str abilities, cloth mana regen, and medium stam regen) Customizing these features to my play style AND my friends is what makes this game take the cake.

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Almost forgot the intelligent combat system, where your actions that seperate the stand and shoot player from the omg i cant even hit the target player. The charging of special abilities while dodging attacks doesn’t simply keep you alive it increases your damage AND your experience gain. Rewarding players for good play is a smart move that significantly increases skill cap while making it fun and not impossible for new players.

• Brian Armstrong January 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Thank you, very well said. :)

56. Braden January 24, 2013 at 12:09 am #

Alright so reading these top 10 reason of why ESO is going to be so wicked awesome. I am assuming the writer hasn’t played WoW or GW2.. Reason being the Mega server is somewhat new to MMO’s but not really at the same time. In WoW, there are different servers true, but there are zones that are cross-realm zones. Meaning you’ll see other people from a different server where you stand. In GW2, it’s sorta the same thign except for it being cross-server zones, the zones are just instanced. Sorta like Zone1a and Zone1b. If you’re friends are in Zone1a, you will be placed there instead of Zone1b.

Just to clarify that.

Another thing, with the pick up any weapon and use it. That’s a lot like Skyrim agreed, but for people who haven’t played Skyrim (or any Edler Scrolls games). It’s a lot like GW2, where you pick up a weapon and then you level that weapon to use it’s different abilities.

I am liking how the combat system works, where you need to dodge and hit the guy, instead of just spamming 1111141151131122133. Reminds me a of a game I really liked back when it was in Beta (RaiderZ) and that part of the game really appealed to me.

The graphics, like someone said. Why don’t they just make the whole Ultra high looks like Skyrim, while the low looks like a really bad quality? or is that to complicated to implement?

ONE LAST QUESTION.. Is the game Pay to Play? if not, is it Pay to Win?? (pay for gear and win)

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Without being super nerdy essentially, if you had the exact same graphics of skyrim how much would you have to spend to put 200 players on your screen all moving with an environment. How much strain on the server would that incorporate, essentially that would, even if logistically possible, inccur quite a large fiscal cost that would then be passed along to the player. So far I have read nothing about a subscription but seeing how this is the only non-shooter game my, afraid of being called a nerd, brother will play,I’ll pay whatever subscription is required. The new system for MMO’s seems to be a non subscription based game like GW2, but I prefer to nominal subscription, this usually nets in better support and more content overall.

• Braden January 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Usually gets you better support, I play a game. Where there is a sub fee, yet the customer support is terrible.. Just Terrible lol

57. Andrew January 24, 2013 at 12:22 am #

Those 10 reasons are great, but this game is going to be amazing for 1 reason only: It is and Elder Scrolls game. I don’t care what all the pessimists out there say *cough* Rob *cough* This is going to be fun to play. If nothing else, it will be better than Diablo III. haha.

58. Anlide January 24, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Hi, in the game there is no view from the first person? I really hoped that it will: (

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

They actually said in an interview that the game will be primarily designed for 3rd person view but first person can you utilized, this was in response to the fact that usually its a limited 3rd person view and great 1st person view that is in Bethesda games. He simply responded that your going to need the extra vision of 3rd person to help with awareness whatnot but its perfectly capable of playing in 1st person view. (Im assuming similar to wow there were fights especially in the burning crusade where first person would help on specific fights but 3rd person was overall better)

59. Treita January 24, 2013 at 2:09 am #

The finesse points was something new for me, as was the info about communicating outside of game from in game.
    As for the mega server, players of World of Warcraft have experienced phasing before. An affect where you have completed quests in an area and so the surroundings have changed to match. Others who have not completed these requirements will see the same area as it was before the quests are completed and will not see you. similar to that, except that You, as the player, control who you see and when.
    I’m stoked about the beta testing. I hope to see multiple stages to get a feel for how these last stages are worked out.

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Unlike WoW though, this phasing system doesn’t effect the players ability to group with players. I played 8 maxed characters in WoW in wrath, there was no way I completed all the zones or rep factions, so when friend would want to do dailies with me I would simply say “I cant help b/c your phased my friend.” That is not an issue on the mega servers, supposedly your decisions can effect the environment, to attack a village for a quest or to find the real cause and eliminate it subvertly. The decision you make effects your world but when you group your accepting the world that the party leader created. This eliminates the “are you in the same phase of the quest as me” problem, quite decisively I might add.

60. Chris Lentz January 24, 2013 at 5:22 am #

Ive been waiting for a game like this sence I played Elder scrolls III. I’ve only played 2 other MMO’s world of warcraft and Rift, but I would play Elder Scrolls any day over these MMO’s. Even though I plyed Elder Scrolls III, Oblevion and Skyrim I can still go back to each one amnd the game itself is sooo amazing. All the freedom you can do is just crazy, no restrictions and anything that you do is what keeps me coming back. I can not wait for this game to come out. If it is as good as Skyrim or better (which I know it will be) I will quite all of my other MMO’s.

61. Naser Shafique January 24, 2013 at 6:29 am #

the graphics is same as skyrim?! are you kidding me??? did you even play skyrim?

• Brandon February 12, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Yeah it’s not really very close, and that particular comment in the article made me question the hype this particular author is applying to the game. Especially when you consider the mods and alterations you can make in Skyrim.

62. curedfat January 24, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I have played loads of mmo’s and rpg’s but when it comes to pvp for me i feel that 2 factions are not enough, the good the bad and the intriguing, 3 factions! it seems to me that new mmo developers are picking up on this trend of having multiple factions warring with one another simply amazed me. I might not ever play another game not xbox not playstation nor tv as long as pvp is awesome!

63. Christopher January 24, 2013 at 7:38 am #

I’m excited to see how this mega server turns out on launch. Other that I cant wait.

64. Adamus January 24, 2013 at 7:52 am #

“It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing”. You know what im talking about ?
    Answer: LAG!!!.

65. Gustavo January 24, 2013 at 8:16 am #

I just hope this game will be as awesome as it is hyped. We all know what the hyped Old Republic and GuilD Wars 2 turned to be.

66. Ben January 24, 2013 at 9:51 am #

I’ll believe this all when I see it. I’ve seen time and time again MMOs state that you don’t need to do quests to progress, or you can do literally whatever you want, but when the game is released, it’s not the case at all. I never listen to the hype on MMOs anymore. I’m cautiously optimistic that this will be different and still feel like Elder Scrolls, but the fact that it’s an MMO has me thinking otherwise.

67. Richard John Wilson January 24, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Tweeting or facebooking your friend’s whilst playing ESO seem’s a bit redundant to me, i mean, seriously, will you not be playing ESo with your friend’s, and when you are not playing ESO, will you not be on Tweet or facbook getting excited about how many Bandit’s you have slaughtered. I am sorry, but, a poor reason to play ESO :(
    Ahh, the Graphic’s, unless you areplaying with a Laptop or a 20 year old Computer, you can upgrade your Graphic’s Card, so dumbing the game down for the less powered Computer’s is another sore point for me. Option’s are available on Computer’s now-a-day’s to play around with your setting’s, to make your gameplay suitable. Leave the Graphic’s alone, even at Skyrim level, they are pretty awesome.
    The rest of your point’s are well adhered…
    One thing i have not heard anything about is the Auction House (AH), i am wondering will there be one. And an even bigger question, will there be price capping’s on Item’s sold, in all the MMO’s i have played, there is no cap’s, and i find this beyond belief that people can sell Item’s whose value exceed’s their original price so much that you might as well be buying Gold Plated Gold in exchange for the original price of say, err, a stack of Leather.
    Cap the Item’s in AH, as we do not want another WoW.
    All thing’s said and done, ESO is shaping up quite nicely. I wonder if we have a WoW beater here. H’mmm, the mind boggles…

• Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

A strong economy is a major problem for many games, if the drop rates are too high the item has no value, too low and the item is extremely high. This is the basis for supply and demand. All games must have a gold dump, an unrestricted AH is the best way to utilize this gold dump. If this was like skyrim on my warrior I own every house maxed skills and character level and I still have over 400,000 gold. At that point gold is worthless, if this point happens in an MMO due to price caps on goods it essentially destroys the economy. Players moderate good prices. The only thing that i can see as a way to deter aborrid prices for items would be to simply make a cap for goods taht can be placed at ONE time on the AH like D3. This means if you BOT (use an illegal 3rd party addon to farm materials) you cannot dump it all on the AH and use that capital to buy up and cause monopolies (yes ive seen it done … ive even seen it done legitamitly by a friend who quit playing wow but used 7 spread sheets to wisely buy and sell goods on the ah and sell the gold in the real world.) If players moderate prices it will keep gold relavent which is always a must in any game based around crafting like the elderscrolls games have always been (well, crafting, enchanting, alchemy, etc.)

• Richard John Wilson January 28, 2013 at 11:06 am #

I am concerned with the lower skilled player’s of the game’s, such as myself. The people that do not want to spend most of the play time Farming, just to reach the required amount’s to buy good gear. If there is no ability to Craft, then an AH is th best ay to get that gear, but if you can not afford item’s, because player’s post on the AH with astonomical price’s, then it is a case of tough shit.
        I hate this idea, and therefore suggest a price cap. And, if you think of the economy in a game, may i remind you it is a game, and not the stock market.
        WoW has not thought out the AH properly, and basically Blizz seem to have had a brain tumour, recent event’s have proven that.
        Fair price’s, i think that is what we need. Seriously.
        I do see your point, but i only see it on your level. I think the bigger picture i am thinking of, is for eveyone.

68. Mike January 24, 2013 at 11:46 am #

I just hope that everything you listed will be as good as you made it sound. I have high hopes though. I haven’t played an Elder Scrolls game I haven’t liked yet.

69. Andang January 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Awesome!

70. Nefrau January 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

I love the opportunity to simply swap to whatever weapon armor style you feel like, they’re is great flexibility of play style and personal choice. I love hybrid characters, those that can use magic and heal. Every now and then I just want to nuke enemies using spells or swap to pure tank mode and sword and board in heavy armor, usually I’m the heal bot. In other games this caused me to have to reroll many other class’s simply to play now I felt at the time. I thought rift would fix this issue but this system just fits so much better looking forward to my beta key to test my Altmer out /fingercrossed.

71. ele January 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

there will be 11 reasons if F2P :D

72. Joe January 25, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

I cannot wait to paly. Open the betas!

73. Michael January 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

I giggled. Everyone knows GTA V will be the most played game. There are more highly anticipated games other than this.

74. T666 January 28, 2013 at 12:22 am #

im really looking forward to this game. im so sick of the 2d cartoon style mmos. they all look like paddlepop anime graphics for todders and the combat has u standing there pressing 12345 you have to pretend your doing something cool. if elder scrolls online has the graphics and gameplay of skyrim ill be really happy! i thin games like darksouls have taken combat control to an even higher level with the physics you feel while blocking or striking with parrying and backstabs etc but skyrim combat is still sooooo cool compared to the other mmos like warcraft. even guild wars has your character doing random animation when u attack. its not like your really in control. i like in skyrim when i use a heavy 2hand axe the swing timer is slow and its hard to land. and that their is character collision with enemies u cant just ghost thru them. i much prefer the 3rd person veiw to first person tho because a 70degree feild of veiw isnt real our eyes can see nearly 180degree but you would need a moniter the size of a wall to have things large enough to see, but yeh 3rd person is great imo u can see yourself and the enviroment. but with all these improvements i hope they keep the best parts of what the other mmos have and not abandon those just to appear different. loot should be rare and i dont want to share it with everyone. you should be sweating to kill a mob first and sweat when the loot drops to see if u win the roll. having said that i would like to be able to attack people in my own faction. lets keep things real and add more fear. u could avoid frendly fire by being grouped up. but these all smaller details. i will be happy to be able to play an mmo i can be proud of the graphics. by comparison world of warcraft graphics with the dancing pandas and 2d paddlepop yetis and gumby looking characters is an embarasment. as an adult anyways i cant respect myself if i play that. 10 years ago people used their had to rely on their imagination to make the game cool but its 2013 now. if u are using a dating graphics engine and peddling your game to kids im not gona be part of it. elder scrolls hopefuly will be awesome tho!

75. D-308 January 29, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Well I belive the game will be at least the most expected for me…
    I will be looking forward to see that interesting project, by the way I have always wanted to visit all countries of Tamriel, Skyrim and Walenwood mostly…
    As for me, this game will change the look of all MMO in future…
    Just can’t wait to look at it!
    Good Luck!)))

76. Georgie Boy January 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

I have mixed feelings about this game do to wht if all the other players just take the entire quest over or ruin a peice of story

77. J February 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Even though The Elder Scrolls Online doesn’t seem like it would require a great PC, it is going to be included on my list of games to play when I build my first gaming PC in the next couple of months. I’ve only played Oblivion and Skyrim on my 360 so I’m interested in seeing what Tamriel looks like 800 and 1000 years before respectively. I hope the Altmer are not portrayed as complete jerks, only half-jerks this time around.I’m interested in seeing how the Ebonheart Pact is portrayed with the three very different races as it seems to be a very uneasy alliance born out of necessity, so they are not alone while the Daggerfall Covenant and the Aldmeri Dominion are united.

78. Brandon February 12, 2013 at 7:31 am #

The thing about Elderscrolls game’s is that they’ve always relied heavily on their modding community to fix really BAD gameplay and balance designs(ie Smithing/Enchanting in Skyrim, the ridiculously poorly thought out armor cap mechanics in Skyrim, bandits in Glass armor in Oblivion, etc). They can’t do that in an MMO… and I expect to see some extremely exploitive gameplay out of this game as a result. As fantastic as they are at creating worlds, they are just terrible at actual math crunching/theory crafting gameplay.

• bluwalker February 26, 2013 at 6:29 am #

Bradon, there is one point you have overlooked. In the previous games they were all single player., and way back when the games mags still gave cd’s of demo games utils etc many of the faults were dealt with in upgrades downloadable from the CD., that was fazed out., but then the “modders” stepped in top fill the breach., I feel sure that the modders will not be excluded and that the BETA testers will wwed out a lot of teething probs.

79. bluwalker February 26, 2013 at 6:08 am #

From the first moment I downloaded the demo of Morrowind and viewed what was “cutting edge” graphics of the day I knew I was hooked. I have battled and bleed through endless nights of battles and caves and dungeons, not to mention the planes of oblivion Morrowind, Oblivion Skyrim……and all there add-on’s……..they will seem like a snack when compared to the feast that will be set before us……
    The dedication to detail, the hard work the hours spent fine tuning… will all be so worth it in the opening days of The Elder Scrolls on line… This will be a global experience like no other.
    Warriors Mages Rogues Healers of the World., The Time is at hand., sharpen your wits and prepare for battle……

80. bluwalker February 26, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Brian Armstrong .., I pretty much agree with you and would go as far as to say that if the modders can contribute via some means (if only on a cosmetic level) and if the customization can be developed to make each player feel as unique as they are in real live., this will not only be the game of 2013 but a major keystone in all future game development.

81. Routaz March 6, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Minimalistic UI…oh why not option to customize your UI?
    That’s one thing Im worried as thats one of the reasons combat got really boring for me in GW2 pretty fast. Made me feel like Im playing console… :S. Otherwise, defo a most anticipated game for me in long time.

82. Dangles March 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

Personally, I don’t see how story could possibly be done well in a multiplayer setting. Good stories require at least some degree of scripting and the unpredictability and possibility of other players ruining your story experience is too much. Story and multiplayer are mutually exclusive.

ESO will be a disaster for previous ES fans but a possible boon to MMO fans. MMOs are competition and loot oriented while single player open world is about story and exploration.

83. sonny March 26, 2013 at 8:20 am #

finally MATT FRIOR come on man give me the fun and excitement you gave us in daoc and shine!!! I can see your creation and experiences in the past while updating to the current age and day… this game will definitely kill all mmos when it comes out!!! been waiting 10 years for this….

84. erwin May 7, 2013 at 2:51 am #

Heya guy’s will elder scrolls online have arena mode such as 2v2 and 3v3 ?
    Thx reply’s

85. women's boots available July 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so
    much, However I am encountering problems with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I cannot join it. Is there anyone else getting similar RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanks!!

86. Dragon Vale Coins August 27, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Thank you for another informative website. Where else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal approach?
    I have a project that I’m just now working on, and I have been
    on the glance out for such info.

87. web site October 24, 2013 at 4:17 am #

There are quantity of websites providing such discount codes, it may be used to
    get considerable discounts on any package you will get for travelling purpose.
    Whenever one purchases a domain, one usually believes the process of generating a website is straightforward and require
    much. It also helps to generate leads and attract consumer to sign-up in your mailing list.

88. 29305;& October 25, 2013 at 3:42 am #

Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.

Anyway I’ll be subscribing on your augment and even I fulfillment you get right of
    entry to constantly rapidly.

89. 22823;& October 26, 2013 at 12:59 am #

whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like studying your articles.
    Keep up the great work! You understand, lots of persons are looking
    around for this info, you could help them greatly.

90. ブーツ 安心 November 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me
    out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided
    me.

91. onimusha Dawn of December 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Very good information. Lucky me I found your site by chaance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book marked it for later!

92. Nope December 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Meh, combat wasn’t like skyrim at all when I beta tested last month. It was stale and like every other MMO.
    They even took away the freedom you have with a bow. Instead of being able to aim at a great distance and time your shot, you must get within a designated range before your arrow will even be registered when targeting a monster.

So far unless they change the combat, I’ll rate it at a generous 4/10. Its the average, the bad, and the ugly as it stands right now.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Elder Scroll Online is Awesome - thedeadknights : thedeadknights - January 27, 2013

[...] We are not even going to write a post on telling you awesome ESO is. So just watch and read these.10 Reasons why the Elder Scrolls Online will rule 2013. [...]

2. Looking Back At A Year With CSTM | Casual Stroll to Mordor - January 30, 2013

[...] forward I am very excited about the MMO industry and the changes Elder Scrolls Online might make to the industry as a whole.  It will be interesting (if ESO is successful) what LOTRO and the other MMOs might take from the game [...]

3. Rune-Keeper Radio » Looking Back At A Year With CSTM - January 30, 2013

4. 10 MORE Reasons Why The Elder Scrolls Online Will Rule 2013 | Elder Scrolls Off The Record I An Elder Scrolls Online Podcast - April 1, 2013

[...] ack in January when I gave you 10 Reasons Why The Elder Scrolls Online Will Rule 2013, much of the game was still a secret, or in development. And while that’s still the case for [...]