What Makes An Elder Scrolls Game… Elder Scrolls?

chrome 2013-01-27 19-37-03-03

There has been a lot made in the far corners of the internet about whether the recent Elder Scrolls Online “The Alliances Cinematic Trailer” trailer depicts a true “Elder Scrolls” world. I read an article by Forbes Magazine online (which we all know to be the ultimate in video game journalism) that called it “devoid of content”, a “terrible trailer”, and that it had no sense of character or plot, and no dialogue… Additionally, the writer said, “I certainly wasn’t seeing the world of Tamriel as I know it.”

I’m not sure what these guys were expecting from an early trailer for a video game. This is certainly not the first game to use cinematics to hype up its game, as games like the Madden football series, StarCraft, and Call of Duty have all implored the technique. And to be upset that it had no dialogue… I’ll pass along a note to the folks at ZeniMax Online Studios to give the writers for General Hospital a call. I’m sure they can work up a nice little story for ya.

The only thing I’ll maybe give the writer a little credit for is wondering if this world really was Tamriel. It looked more fantastical, more gritty, and maybe even more dark than we’ve ever seen it. But what makes an Elder Scrolls game truly “Elder Scrolls?” What is it about Skyrim that makes it clear it is part of the famed series? What will The Elder Scrolls Online need to have in order to fit nicely into the Bethesda catalog? For all those out there hating on this game (there honestly aren’t that many, they’re just vocal), I’m going to argue that what we’ve seen so far, and what we know already, indicates this game will have everything required in order to be considered a true Elder Scrolls experience.

History and Lore

First and foremost, an Elder Scrolls game must be rich with history and lore. Considering that this game is set in a time where a lot of the lore we read about in other Elder Scrolls games is created, this should be a slam dunk. This game will MAKE Tamriel history, in addition to drawing off of Bethesda’s massive library of history that has already been established. It will be the first time we’ve gone back in time rather than progressing, but it also gives ZeniMax an opportunity to expand on some of the lore we’ve learned from previous games, so chances are, the storylines will be epic, and familiar. We don’t have to worry about getting something like the Star Wars prequels, where the technology seemed far and away more advanced than what was already established in the original trilogy. ZeniMax is clearly recreating the world of Tamriel as we already know it, but everything we’ve seen so far indicates they’ve taken care to make sure it looks appropriate in the timeline.

Freedom, and Lots of It

In Skyrim, Bethesda took the idea of being free to play the game any way you wanted and took it further than we’ve ever seen. ZeniMax has promised the same kind of flexibility for Elder Scrolls Online, and it’s no more evident than in a players’ ability to play any race, any class, and with any weapon they want. Some may argue that this deflates the importance of having classes, or of creating a variety of characters, but I disagree. To me, this approach will ensure players come back time and time again, because even if you’ve made 10 Nord characters, it’s possible you’ll have 10 different builds. And that’s just for one race! It may take years for a player to discover exactly what combination of race, class, weapon, and armor makes them the ultimate hero. When I think “Elder Scrolls,” I think freedom, and Elder Scrolls Online will surely fit this description.

The Guilds

The first thing I did in both Oblivion and Skyrim, after I felt I’d wandered and explored enough, was play through the Thieves Guilds. Both games presented some of the best storylines, the most exciting gameplay, and some of the best quests available in this guild. They were arguably even better than the “main” quests. The fact that ZeniMax will have guilds (the Dark Brotherhood, Fighter’s, Mage’s, and Thieves Guilds have been confirmed), gives me high hopes that this game will feel completely authentic. Guilds provide extra quests, stories, weapons, armor sets, spells, and NPCs, which makes sticking to just the “main” quest a big mistake. So even without seeing any gameplay, this game is already “Elder Scrolls” just because of the ability to play through these quest chains.

Weapons and Armor

One of the things I’ve always loved about Elder Scrolls games are the variety of weapons and armor sets available. Whether it’s a variety of swords, different spells that perform amazing attacks on enemies, magical armor, or specific armor sets and weapons you can only get through guild progression, Elder Scrolls games have always provided many different ways to make your character the hero. We already know that ZeniMax is dumping a huge amount of weapons and armor into the game, so much that you shouldn’t have to worry about looking too similar to another player. And since any character can equip any item, you won’t be locked into certain kinds of items.

These are just a few of the pieces required to make an Elder Scrolls game. I didn’t even have room to get into the music, the side quests, the scenery, the accessibility, the devotion to the single player experience, or the humor. But trust me, with Bethesda having a hand in the development of this game, we have nothing to fear. The Elder Scrolls Online will be built from the ground up as the ultimate Tamriel. Whether or not this most recent trailer looks exactly like the finished product’s gameplay is ridiculous to worry about. Games rarely match its cinematics, as they’re just that, a cinematic preview. They’re designed to draw you in, get you excited about the game, and maybe attract some people who have never even heard about The Elder Scrolls before. If you’re upset because a six minute trailer has no dialogue, or if you don’t get or understand the story (there WAS a story in the video, by the way), then I’m not sure how to help you. Other than to assure you that everything we’ve seen so far indicates pure “Elder Scrolls.” It’s just the first time The Elder Scrolls has been presented to us in a multiplayer format, so naturally, things will be a little different. But at the end of the day, the history and lore, the freedom, the guilds, and the variety of weapons and armor are enough to prove that this is “Elder Scrolls,” through and through.

And I can’t wait to play it.

[author] [author_image timthumb='on']http://mymiddleearth.com/wp-content/uploads/avatars/2330/209800074bd5c82316e83f77e0d73de4-bpfull.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]SilentFury writes for The Quest Gaming Network, rips it up in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, and accepts Steam bucks as bribes. You can follow him on Twitter at silentfury007, and read all his work here: @silentfury007.[/author_info] [/author]

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Brian covers gaming news for the Quest Gaming Network. You can follow him on Twitter at silentfury007, where he also occasionally rambles about music.

43 Responses to “What Makes An Elder Scrolls Game… Elder Scrolls?” Subscribe

1. Shank January 28, 2013 at 10:05 am #

As always, great work dude!

That Forbes article is just wrong. If that cinematic isn’t “Tamriel as I know it” to that author, then he doesn’t know Tamriel.

One small correction, if I may. In your History and Lore section, you state this is the first time we’ve gone back in time rather than progress forward. However, in Skyrim, in order to learn the Dragonrend shout, we had to read the Elder Scroll and traveled back in time.

My minutia aside, I believe your greater point was that we are going to actually go back in time for an entire game, and not just one small event. For that, I am so incredibly excited!

Great stuff dude!

• Brian Armstrong January 28, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Thanks for the correction, Shank, I hadn’t thought of that, so yes, you’re right. I was thinking more in the broader entire game sense, but I would have reworded that statement had I remembered this bit. Either way, I’m excited to go back and in a sense, watch history unfold. It should be pretty epic.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

• Shank January 28, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Not only watch history unfold, but actually partake in it and shape it as we see fit. Now THAT is something special

• Ean Folger January 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

For real, Shank. It’s every longtime Elder Scrolls fan’s dream to be able to see the legends we read about first hand.

• Brian February 1, 2013 at 1:15 am #

We went back with The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard as it’s the second earliest point in The Elder Scrolls legend, just after TES:Online taking place in the year 864 of the second era. (TES:Online was in 582 of the second era).
      I’ll piggy-back on what Shank said in that it isn’t all that important, but cool for lore’s sake.

2. Ean Folger January 28, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Fantastic stuff, Brian (as always). It was a well thought out, timely response to a misleading public opinion. This is why I look forward to your articles throughout the week.

• Brian Armstrong January 28, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Wow, thanks Dustin! Sheesh, you’re gonna give me a big head! :) I really appreciate your comment, and for your awesome devotion to all of us here at QGN.

• Ean Folger January 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

You got thousands and thousands of article views and 150+ comments on your Top 10 article, and my one comment is the one to send you over the edge hahaha. I have faith you (and the others) will stay humble as this site rises to greatness as we role closer to ESO’s release and well after that.

p.s. Whenever I finally do find myself in the industry, you will be the first guy I call upon for my E3 quest haha.

3. Jamie The Skeever King January 28, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

That image with The Imperial City in the background just didn’t look right to me. Didn’t remind me of the Cyrodill I remember exploring. That and the elf girl didn’t look like an ES elf at all. Maybe I am being just picky though. I tend to be with this series.

• paetramon January 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Well, toys is set in the post, and Cyrodiil is mostly a jungle if I understand it correctly. So out would look very different from oblivion cyrodiil

• Ajeh January 31, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

Im fairly sure that Cyrodiil looks how a war soaked area would, it’s dark and forboding and being smashed by giant hooks.

• Jon March 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Ajeh, (Don’t mean to be a ‘vocabulary nazi’) but you used forboding odly, and I can not understand your comment with that taking my focus, could you re-word, because I am curious of what you are saying about cyrodil. (Sorry for the puzzlement, and confusion)

• Jon March 1, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

more as actually, ‘ can not fathom’ I can understand to a certain degree, but not fully.

• Princess Rosella February 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

dude you do realize this takes place shortly after the oblivion crisis

• MatthewLovesLore February 6, 2013 at 2:23 am #

This takes place approximately 800 years BEFORE the Oblivion Crisis, and 1000 before Skyrim. The Septim dynasty hasnt even started, of course it looks different!

• Theodyn MacLean February 8, 2013 at 6:04 am #

No it doesn’t. The Septim Dynasty hasn’t even begun yet so the Oblivion Crisis is hundreds of years later…

4. Brian January 28, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Love the article. Read the Forbes article and went through the comments and posts and it seems to be the disdain they hold for this new game in the series is the same many generation 1 fans hold to the new pokemon games. Many of the posts were from fans who “Played Arena and Daggerfall years ago” and now that they see any progression of the sort they call it blasphemous and heresy.

• Callum January 31, 2013 at 11:50 pm #

Those comments seem hardly fair. You can’t compare any old Elder Scrolls game to a modern one! They weren’t even made by the same company! They were an entirely different principle.

• Princess Rosella February 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

and uh there you are wrong same company different staff. bethesda softworks has made es 1-5 and as far as i know at least the major side games as well. i would have to go find my redguard adn battlespire discs to check.

• Princess Rosella February 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

no its the degeneration of es to being like every other rpg out there they dont like. take for example skyrim? where was attributes? this whole you gotta choose either magic, health, or stamina (which chosing stamina boosted carry weight for no other real advantage sry that not es. es has always had attributes, and the fact that since daggerfall they have continuously reduced skills morrowind was the wasnt bad although i think it sad they removed a really fun skill called climbing out of it. and what about levitation i mean seriously what fun in being mage if you cannot levitate anywhere. say what you want i dont mind changes that are geared to enhance playability/replayability but when all the changes do is make the game less customizing then sry its not true elder scrolls. arena was great start daggerfall really defined es but since then each game has been more detail less skills less character customization. i didnt mind the smaller area in morrowind on as they gave up area mass for detail which wasnt a bad trade off on that. but to give up es strong points of character customization and wide variety of skills is betrayal of es. and i agree with some comments about we should be unable to visit each and every area. sry but making it so that you cannot go to summerset isle as dark elf is too much like daoc. sry i love the idea of playing es with other players dont like the idea of selling much of the uniqueness of es to be like other rpgs just to have online play.

5. Master Shadow Warrior January 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

From the look of that picture the mountain fortress shown in the video would have to be somewhere in the Valus mountains on the border of Morrowind. Since there is only rivers two rivers that flow from lake Rumare around the Imperial city. One the white river which is two small from the size of the river shown. And the Niben river which goes south and the only mountains near that are the Varlus which is to the east of that river. Anyway this is just my guess on where this is. ANd great article by the way

• MARPJ February 7, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

I disagree, in my opinion this is a south of Imperial City, because the river must be the White Rose River.
      I will make my point, in the picture above have two rivers, both more or less in a “M” shape, are only two rivers leaving Imperial Cityand the White Rose have to ways with more or less a “M” shape, in Oblivion they are interconnected, but this is 800 years before, so they are still separated (but I see the land where they go connect), and the rivers end before those mountains where the battle is going.
      The left river coming out Imperial City in a point with a island (Waterfront in my opinion). So, the battle on the video is on the mountains in Cyrondiil’s south border or in the Fort Black Root (considering Oblivion map), but this is a bad perspective view, because the distances are a bit messy.
      Of course this occurs 800 years before Oblivion, so changes will exist, maybe this is a river who will disappear and the mountains will lower with time, but to my this is probably on south of Cyrondiil.

6. chris January 31, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

honestly i feel like video game media will try to discredit any online MMO that isn’t world of warcraft. its time that WoW gets put down. elder scrolls online WILL be the next MMO super power

• Ajeh January 31, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

I certainly hope so

• Jargon February 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Yeah. I hope so, is right. Let’s be real with ourselves. Even ESO has the potential to fail as an MMO. Don’t assume that this game will overtake wow even if it is successful. But I have a feeling the older WoW fan base will slowly but surely disintegrate.

7. Eric San January 31, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Freedom. Freedom, and lots of it. I, as well as countless others, are seriously hoping there won’t be facton locked territories. I am not saying this from an MMORPG stance, where I am hoping for the whole world to be PVP. I could give a sack of nightsoil less, about ganking low level noobs, or taking over truf. ES has never even had PVP. What they have had is great lore… Great stories, in a great world, etc. I was planing on making another breton version of myself, as always, a human with a little bit of elf blood thrown in there. I was finally hoping to take miny miny me to the places of mith and legend. I want to take him to Morrowind, to Skyrim, to Cyrodil, to TheSumerset Isles, to Black Marsh. I want to find the Red Mountain, and climb it. I want to walk through the shade of the Valenwood forests. I want to retutn to the places I know and love, from Skyrim and Oblivion. I respect the Dev’s right to create their own game, their own lore, but I seriously hope they don’t do this to beloved Tamriel. I don’t care about their war, PVP, or any of that. I just want to walk around the whole continent with my buddies. How can I do that if they pick a different race, and are in an area that is totally off limits to me? I could create alts, you say, but doesn’t that seriously limit my faction pride. I don’t want to join the enemy, just to travel to the places of my dreams, I don’t want hime to even be my enemy, I am not racist. I just want to walk around my fantasy world together and fight monsters, I don’t want to be one. I am not really down with race wars, even virtual ones.

• Dreadwater January 31, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Yeah i think they should have a seperate server with world wide pvp. im not a big pvp’er but i usually got on the pvp servers and messed around. having to find hiding spots and escape routes is always fun.

8. Netfoolsmedia January 31, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

There are two things you didn’t touch on really that I believe are really the only negative things I have found about this game so far.

- While you can choose any race you wish, you will not be able to explore enemy territories. I find this incredibly silly in a game about adventuring and exploration. They are designing the questing system to supposedly foster exploration and open ended feeling, but then completely neuter that by cutting off 1/2 of the world. (I’m assuming each faction will have equal sized zones and Cyrodiil will be equivalently large)

- The second is the race/faction limitations. I have always felt that TES like Star Wars had a great collection of races mixing and living together. I was struck by how people didn’t think anything of an Argonian barkeep, or a Dark Elf bard. Having the races mixing and mingling together. We won’t be getting that in ESO; at least not from a player standpoint. I think the largest drawback of the game so far has to be that the races will be faction locked. I think that goes against what I believe to be a large part of the world of Tamriel.

• Callum January 31, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

About the race mingling,I guess that the creators would tell you that is a thousand years before, Skyrim and thy don’t like each other. The argonians were slaves to the dark elves. Bout yeah, i pretty much agree, I wish there was some mixing, maybe even as NPCs. You could see an NPC of another race walking around, it would make for some interesting plots and missions. That would at least be enough for me.

9. JadeRae February 1, 2013 at 10:16 am #

I agree that you should be able to explore the Whole world…with the same char. I’m not a big pvp’er either, I’m more into running around, killing monsters, saving travelers and such. By blocking off a good chunk of the world it will make me feel somewhat confined to my particular chunk of land. I hope they change that, I like the idea of a separete pvp server, so if I want to fight I can. But if I just want to run quests with my friends all over Tamriel I can just hang out on the pve server and go wherever I want, being a hero for the common folk of Skyrim, or exploring a cave in Hammerfel.

It would also be nice to be able to see more than just your three races, even if it was just npc’s. It seems as though at least some integration would be natural. In real life conflicts rarely have 100% of the people sided nicely according to there race. It seems there should be some who maybe dont agree with the desicion to fight, and fled their land as a refugee, or something, just to provide for a little mixing. ES always has had interesting little backstories like that, like Saadia, in skyrim, at the Bannered Mare.

• Dylan February 3, 2013 at 11:30 am #

I get where your coming from, i know this might not seem like the same thing but i play on a PVP server on world of warcraft and with the new cross-realm zones that took effect im really not a pvp server type person anymore. it allows people from other servers (even max level enemy players) to see you when your in leveling zones, so you get mashed by stronger players that are literally impossible to defend agains. this especially happens if your in a zone that tends to fill up with players trying to gather for professions. But on warcrafts “normal/pve” servers, you cannot be attacked anywhere unless you turn your PvP flag on. turing yuour flag off leaves you flagged for 5 more minutes without entering a pvp battle (which resets the 5 mins). then when the 5 mins passes your not flagged anymore. the megaserver might feature something similar to the flagging method used in warcrafts pve servers.

10. Throthgar February 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

i agree we should be free as the character you have made to go were you like desideing how you get their if someone wants to do their best to impersonate connan barbarian and just travel the world than let them i say here a over sized sword now go kill a god at the far side of the world i dont know for shits and gigles

11. Isaac February 2, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

In all honesty, if you aren’t a fan of PvP it wouldn’t be a wise decision to join a game that is going to center around a war between three factions. It is just illogical to assume that a game is going to turn away from its whole purpose just to fit the whims of a few. I mean, I am a huge fan of the lore and background of Tamriel as well. I have spent hours searching the far corners of the internet for details on each of the provinces. (Especially Valenwood.) If anything, your desire to see each province of Tamriel firsthand should only give you an incentive for fighting the other factions. There will undoubtedly be a system implemented in which you can unlock a certain zone once you have occupied enough of it. And besides, even if you are confined to one area the Devs have already let us know that each of the provinces’ maps is bigger than Skyrim was. Did anyone feel confined in Skyrim? I know I certainly didn’t. And for those of you who are worried about miscellaneous quests, I also heard that we will have many of the Tamriel’s guilds. (Fighter’s Guild, Mage’s Guild, The Dark Brotherhood, Etc.) You can join any of these guilds and progress through the quest chains just like you would have in the single-player games. Also, since this is a Bethesda game I think it is safe to say that there will be hours of NPC quests! I am really looking forward to all the potential ESO has to offer! Maybe you guys should focus on the positive parts of the game instead of nitpicking!

Regards,
    Isaac Flores

• Eric San February 4, 2013 at 5:47 am #

I have thought about what you are saying. Each section probably is rather large, plus you can venture into Cyrodil. I guess the part that angers me is how the dev’s talk about it. They drop these amazing facts, but then omit huge “buts.” For the first time ever, we are hand crafing all of Tamriel for you to explore, but you really can’t, unless you make alts. We have this great new technology called mega server that will allow you to be easily and instantly connected to your friends, but only if they pick the same facionand or race as you, beacue we uh, well, we sorta decided to incite a race war in the middle of Tamriel. Why?
      Issac, you wrote this…
      “if you aren’t a fan of PvP it wouldn’t be a wise decision to join a game that is going to center around a war between three factions. It is just illogical to assume that a game is going to turn away from its whole purpose just to fit the whims of a few.”
      I would argue that that is exactly what they are doing. The Elder Scrolls has never had PVP. What is that? And, now the whole game is based on it, and revolves around it? Who cares about two hunderd players on screen at once? The Elder Scolls, has never even had two players on screen at once. What people wanted was Skyrim, with their friends too, not a PVP heavy MMORPG, with the name Elder Scrolls written on it. To answer your question, no I never really felt confined in Skyrim, but I would like to travel to some of the places in the books I have read. I would like to travel to the Summerset Isles for example. I thought I finally was gonna get a chance to, when I was listening to the Devs hype this game up. If you listend closely though, you get the feeling that they are trying to make a faction locked, and territorially locked, game seem like you will have all this freedom, when you really wont. Such a shame. I wonder what made them think fans would like this stupid war throwing up all these boundaries everywhere, more than just playing the elder scrolls online with their friends. Here’s hoping for the best. I hoe they don’t mess this game up. I have wanted this for so long, and now it is almost here, it is starting to scare me. Kind like that girl that looks good from far away, but when she get closer, you realize that she is a dude.

12. Huchister February 4, 2013 at 12:10 am #

I prefer freedom of leveling, I still can’t find why RPG must have a ‘level’ system. I ought to see one game that breaks this leveling cycle was hoping this game could make an ‘out of boundary’.

I still need to check out the game, and believe this game has a lot of potential, but risk of being in similar leveling environment with others. While I have my doubts for this game to be succeed, the ‘mega’ server seems fresh enough and so as skill combination with three faction war brings me back to the fun time from dark age of camelot.
    (I do enjoying the guild war momentary, but looking forward to see a game with ‘skill’ based environment, not by ‘level’ or ‘hybrid-level+skill’)

13. iconx February 5, 2013 at 12:20 am #

nice!!

14. Camden Miller February 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

The problems with the cinematic aren’t what Forbes said it to be. (In fact, why would you sarcastically throw out that they’re not exactly the foremost gaming authority, and then reply to their article as if it mattered?) The problems are there however.

We only get to see the poster races of each alliance getting any truly meaningful screen time. The elf races don’t look like Tamrielic elves AT ALL (seriously, go back and tell me they don’t look like some new Hobbit cine).

And some of the tech (namely the javalin bridges) doesn’t make me feel like I’m a thousand years in the past (despite your assertion that this won’t have the Star Wars problem).

Oh and the lore, yeah they’re sticking to that sure. That’s why there’s a TWENTY EIGHT YEAR OLD leading the friggn Aldmeri Dominion. Elves live for millenia. She’d be a child, and not just relatively speaking.

15. Camden Miller February 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Oh yeah, the Thieves’ Guild in Skyrim, while appropriately epic, made NO damn sense. Why would you recruit someone off the street and then IMMEDIATELY place all your hope in that person to restore your guild? Why weren’t Brynjolf and the others doing all the crap they made you do? Skyrim failed pretty handily at guilds after the amazing guilds in Oblivion.

16. Princess Rosella February 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

you say the variety of various armor, enchanted armor effects, guild quests, guild armor ect is what makes an elder scrolls game elder scrolls. i beg to differ. arena and daggerfall are the to greatest elder scroll chapters and those along with elder scrolls adventures redguard are the top tree best elder scroll games (glitches included). i agree with the part about the history and lore being a part of it and side questing is a part of it but until morrowind guilds were not a major part nor had a specific quest line. in fact i dont recall guilds other then mages guild in arena. armor didnt have enchanted effects in arena and i never found enchanted armor in daggerfall and didnt play it as a mage (was a pure warrior) so didnt enchant armor in that game (didnt need it only physical damage could hurt me and by lvl 3 i could defeat anything the game tossed at me).

no what makes elder scrolls, elder scrolls is open character creation (which is part of why i dont like newer es games as much as they eliminated much of the character creation that there used to be i mean by daggerfall you had total character creation options granted in some ways was not fully balanced but was there) then morrowind oblivion and skyrim not only had fewer character customization but they also reduced the other area that made es unique.

after arena they introduced skill based lvling in daggerfall. now i wont deny they went a little overboard in some areas (i.e. speech skill for races such as dragons (oh wait daggerfall you were able to speak in tongue of the dragons so much for that claim with skyrim)but i mean why did they take away the climbing skill that was present in both arena and daggerfall? and lets take weapons i mean really only to handed and one handed plus bow for physical weapon skills? sry i could not understand that i mean you wield a sword get proficient at it and magically are getting proficient at use of an axe which is completely different from using a sword? so i see games like skyrim as almost unworthy of the es title because they severely limited skills severely reduced character customization. and on top of that in skyrim took away attributes making it much harder for tank characters to carry stuff. i sry play as a dark elf spell sword tank (meaning i use magic to enhance my fighting ability, and i tank meaning i go for survivability with high health and heavy armor) i find that the fact that by max lvl in skyrim i was at best about equal in life to other games but had much less magic and carry weight. you can like my bro say well i just dont understand how to balance life and magic and stamina well considering how with high health full daedric there still many times i have to run around avoiding enemy hits trying to heal myself back up so i dont die and not even fighting dragons yet cause i wanna do as much of the game without doing the glitch to make over a million armor rating (which may or may not make the last 3 dragon levels winnable).

so i find skyrim the worst of every es game i have played (which includes all but es travels and battlespire which i own but disc doesnt work). i only pray that they bring character customization back to be more like it was in daggerfall (only more balanced) like players can choose various inheret bonus weaknesses and opposing strengths i.e. 25% more resistant to physical damage but 25% weaker to magical damage or something) with limit to number of these say one or to on top of racial.

• Brian Armstrong February 5, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

You made some great points here! To be honest, I’ve only dabbled in Elder Scrolls games prior to Morrowind, but now that I think about it, you’re right that character creation options have dropped off a bit. However, despite guilds not being part if the earlier games, they ARE a part of the modern games, and I my opinion, are a big part. One of my favorite reasons for playing Elder Scrolls. But, it’s an opinion, and we all have our different reasons for loving the series. Thank you for your well stated thoughts!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 3news Interview with Matt Firor, Fan-Crafted: Beta Roundup, Developer Question #9 - January 31, 2013

[...] What Makes an Elder Scrolls Game… Elder Scrolls (Elder Scrolls Off the Record) [...]

2. Always on keyboard | Fan-Crafted: Beta Roundup - February 2, 2013

[...] What Makes an Elder Scrolls Game… Elder Scrolls (Elder Scrolls Off the Record) [...]

3. Elder Scrolls Norge » Fan-Crafted: Beta Roundup - February 2, 2013