ESO screenshot 01

With The Elder Scrolls Online coming out this year, I’ve been getting really excited at the possibilities of what this game could bring. With the promise of freedom, epic scale, and combat that feels like an Elder Scrolls game, ESO has a chance to be a truly revolutionary game. I’m not saying I know for sure they’re doing everything right, because to be honest, I don’t know enough about the MMO genre to know what needs fixing and what should be left alone. But what I do know are a few things that have largely kept me away from MMOs with the rare exception here and there. And I think if ESO is going to work not only as an MMO, but as the next big single player Elder Scrolls game, I think it will largely be the job of the players to make this a new experience.

Let me explain. I feel like I’ve shyed away from MMOs all these years because I simply don’t have the time to invest in these games that are needed to really get the full experience. Playing nonstop to reach max level and then entering “end game” content, raids, war zones, etc, has just been too overwhelming for a guy who is lucky if he gets to play 10 hours in a week. So for me to expect to be able to hop into an MMO expecting to get to experience everything before they shut down the servers someday is just ludicrous.

So here is my plea to fellow players – as well as ZOS. Let’s make ESO something different. I shouldn’t be forced to play in ways I don’t want to just to experience everything this game has to offer. I don’t want to shy away from a certain aspect of the game because I know I will get ripped by other players for not playing it “right.” This is my game, just as much as yours, and I won’t stand for being told how to play.

So there are three rules I have I want everyone to abide by, and if you do, we’ll all get along just fine.

wow2

First of all, please don’t refer to my character as a “toon.” This has commonly been used in place of the word “character,” and I can’t stand it. Maybe it was accurate in a game like World of Warcraft, which had a cartoony feel to it, but I think it does a disservice to our future characters in ESO. This is largely an issue the player base must address, but ZOS can do its part by never using the word, and maybe even try coming up with something else that hopefully catches on.

When I hear my character referred to as a “toon” I am instantly taken out of the game and think how stupid that sounds. It makes me want to put the game away because all of a sudden I feel like I’m playing a silly child’s game. Maybe it’s petty, but my characters in Skyrim are not “toons.” They are heroes (or villains), and I will refer to my ESO characters in the same way. I hope you’ll join me.

Secondly, and this has been a hot topic over the last couple months, but I hope raids don’t become the only way to “truly experience the end game.” I used to listen to my friends talk about their “raid nights” in World of Warcraft and realized just how stupid this sounded. Let me get this straight. You have to show up at a certain time every few nights and play this one part of the game over and over and over again, and if you don’t show up or perform well you can get kicked out of your guild? I thought this was a game?

I understand the appeal of getting together with a large number of friends to take on a big boss and snatch up a bunch of great loot, really I do. But when it becomes more of a job than a game, that’s when you lose me. I used to listen to these friends screaming at their guild mates to back up, move forward, heal them, etc, and it baffled me how anyone could find that fun. It’s my opinion, yes, but if ESO turns into an experience of clocking in at 8 PM every Tuesday and Thursday with performance evaluations and TPS reports…. Sorry, I’m out.

So don’t tell me I have to raid in order to get everything out of this game, or at least, if I DO have to raid, don’t scream at me if I’m not playing the way you think I should be. Don’t get me wrong, I know we’ll need to work together in not only raids, but PvP as well, and I’m down with that. But just because you have a million hours in the game and think you know everything, that doesn’t mean you actually do.

Finally, and it’s pretty similar to rule number 2, don’t tell me I’m doing something wrong. The limited time I have spent in MMOs has been marred by people telling me my build is wrong or I have the wrong offensive buffs or I need to use a different set of armor or I need to choose different perks… Just stop! Again, this is my game, not yours, and if I want to be a sneaky Dunmer wearing heavy armor wielding a cat for a weapon, that’s what I’m going to do! We hear a lot that it won’t matter in this game what your build is, because you can make anything work. But that won’t stop the hardcore MMO players from telling me I’m doing it wrong. Some people just can’t help but tell you how much more they know about a game than you, and will jump at the opportunity to criticize you for wearing the wrong amulet.

I feel like I’ve been yelling at you all for the last few minutes, and if you feel that way as well, I apologize. I’m really just trying to get out in words why MMOs have never worked for me in the past. But the good news is I really believe this will be the MMO I stick with, and there’s several reasons why.
First of all, it’s not truly an MMO, at least not how we currently know them. It’s as close to an MMO/single player mashup as we’ve seen, so there’s reason to be excited. Additionally, ZeniMax knows their audience. They know they need to capture the Elder Scrolls fans first and foremost, as they are the base that will either make or break this game. If we’re not happy, the game will fail. So knowing their target audience should help them make the right call in tough design decisions.

I am really optimistic about this game, and even if you are a hardcore MMO player I believe this game will work for you, too. It’s got everything you expect in being be to build your character, but offers more customization in that build than we’ve ever seen. There WILL be raids for you, and there WILL be end game content for you to plow through nightly. And I hope we can get along and I’ll join you on some of those adventures. Even if I never play a single raid, I am confident ZOS is going to have plenty to keep me occupied, so even though I was pretty negative today, I think we’ll all get along just fine.

Just don’t ever refer to me as a toon…

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Brian covers gaming news for the Quest Gaming Network. You can follow him on Twitter at silentfury007, where he also occasionally rambles about music.

37 Responses to “How I hope ESO bucks current MMO trends” Subscribe

1. Kathwren April 29, 2013 at 9:50 am #

I certainly understand your concerns – but all the issues you raise have to do with the community you play with. I do raid in my current MMO but only when I sign up and nobody is ever kicked out or told they are wrong, etc. I think it will depend who you decide to play with. If you play with like-minded individuals, you should enjoy the game along with it’s end game “adventure zones”. I hope to find a guild that doesn’t have hard core raiding type rules and people that are accepting and understand I am paying just as much money as they are and have every right to play how I prefer. (and visa versa) – I don’t know how much of this ZOS can control because the bottom line is the people playing the characters. Hopefully the majority will be respectful but do expect to see some jerks – every game has them. Just remember they are easy to learn to ignore.

• Brian Armstrong April 29, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

Very true, this is more of a community issue than a ZOS issue, and that’s really what I meant. I just don’t want to have to choose which of my friends to play with, I really hope the game is designed in such a way that these kinds of things just naturally don’t occur. But like you said, if they do, I can ignore them. :)

• Aggelos April 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

• Aggelos April 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Trust me they can’t control it! Look at Guild Wars 2, a game with zero form of trinity, and ArenaNet kept pushing the “you can form groups with anyone! No need for a specific class!” But you see saw the people saying they wanted only a guardian in their group or an elementalist for a spiker just because they did the number crunches and these classes had better numbers for what they wanted so while you can do anything in eso (trust me I love this too) the moment someone does the number crunching and shows that Templar is the best sword and board tank for example the hardcore people will be looking for a sword and board Templar and no other class regardless of how they spec will do! So yeah community sucks lol!

• Aggelos April 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

• Glen Bailey May 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

You get what you put into a game..Ive played MMO’s since pre-kunark of EQ, where imo MMO’s were at its best. WoW, isnt for everyone and honestly it’s not for you it seems. You, again IMO make petty complaints such as referring to characters as toons…honestly you are nickel and diming here.

Raiding/Gear/Exp…isnt required, what is required if you group up with fellow people in game you should know what you are doing…not having others pick up your slack. I can agree that people should respect each other in game…but sadly those days are over in WoW.

Im very excited, like you about ESO. I want it to be my end-game for the next 10 or so years. I want great PVP, with rewards for doing it…I want rewarding PVE that has a sense of accomplishment along with a bit of fear.

But mostly, I would like a mature community that treats each other with respect and that are not all about “ME”…dont think ill get that, but I can hope.

The biggest thing I have learned from all my years from playing MMO’s that the next big MMO to come out or the WoW killer has failed. My hype is there for ESO, but Im also ready to be disappointed…

2. Alaxor April 29, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Well said Sir, and fantastic use of an Office Space reference haha

3. Alaxor April 29, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Well said Sir. And great use of an Office Space reference :D

4. Aggelos April 29, 2013 at 10:59 am #

There are those “casual” raiders for end game raids that you can be apart of but you cant single our hardcore mmo players as yelling at you. If you don’t like how they play just don’t play with them. Simple. There will be plenty of hardcore mmo players (who happen to love single player ESO games as much as you) that will play with other hardcore mmo players. If you dont like people criticizing you dont play with those players.

5. Deftknight April 29, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

For me all that meta-game stuff like having an organised raid/PvP night is just part of the game itself. Tamriel will be a land riven by war – the fact that there will be generals organising their armies is appropriate. And like Aggelos says, if you don’t like a particular group’s style, don’t play with them.

Similarly, your friends ordering their guild mates into position or crying out for healing sounds appropriate. If you were really fighting a giant monster or an enemy army wouldn’t you be doing the same?

On another note, the impression I got from your article is that your not really interested in ‘TES with Multiplayer’ (which I believe ESO will be) but are actually waiting for ‘TES VI’, because not once do you suggest that you’re actually looking forward to adventuring with other people with their own characters and opinions and, well, that’s the point of making an Elder Scrolls MMO.

• Brian Armstrong April 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Well sure I’m looking forward to TES VI, but despite not explicitly saying it in the article, I AM looking forward to exploring Tamriel with friends. I guess my point is that I just don’t want to feel rushed to hit max level by friends who are already there, or playing parts of the game I don’t want to to play or in ways I don’t want to. Sure the easy answer is to just not play with them, but that’s not the point. I WANT to play with my friends, and even the random strangers out in the world. I was simply laying out my reasoning for not enjoying the MMOs I have played thus far.

And sure, while it may be realistic to have people screaming for heals or positioning in real life, when an Orc is yelling at me to help pull aggro so the mage can throw down an AOE while the tank does a thunder stomp… realism isn’t really something I’m looking for… I’m really not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that I only want so much realism in my games. :)

• Paul R. Gauthier May 3, 2013 at 12:31 am #

This is a serious question.

If someone tells you in a chess game that your opening strategy is very weak and that you should change it, do you write them off as elitist jerks who’re bossing you around and wrecking your fun, which is playing chess the way you want to play it? Or do you want to learn to play better and thus accept constructive criticism?

Or, here’s a better example. You’re part of a recreational baseball team. Recreational but still competitive, casually so. You want to win, you try to play well, you even practice — but you don’t get out of joint if you don’t win. You with me, this sound plausible? Ok… so someone tells you that your swing is all wrong, or that you should improve your pitching, or cover left field a little differently. Is this a problem for you? Is this ruining your fun, an infringement on your game experience?

Or do you think that legitimate, constructive criticism has its place? Do you think that maybe the fun of the other people on the team — which is partly, but not entirely, based on winning as much as possible — is negatively impacted by your poor play, so you strive to be a better baseball player?

These examples are all applicable to the MMORPG genre. And if you don’t think that you can adapt group play and to navigating game mechanics in a group — including accepting criticism meant to improve your play and thus improve the experience for everyone involved — then, as I said in my other post, the MMORPG genre is not for you

• Brian Armstrong May 3, 2013 at 12:49 am #

Not once in my experience has the criticism I am referring to ever been “constructive.” And while several people have disagreed with me, there’s more people agreeing with me than even I expected. And there are MANY aspects to MMOs that I enjoy, social gameplay is a draw, just not playing with people that can’t possibly accept the fact that there may be more than one way to play a paladin or mage or what have you. I also don’t enjoy being yelled at in a game. I HAVE spent many hours in SWTOR with a few friends and not been yelled at, and had a great time. But I have also spent many hours in SWTOR, and other games, where either myself or other people are getting yelled at, and I do not enjoy that. It doesn’t have to be that way. And that’s all I’m trying to say.

Thanks for commenting.

6. Deftknight April 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

you’re*! I hate making that typo!

7. Hatakemaara April 29, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

I feel like I was just scolded and I’ve never even played an MMO, haha. But, it’s good that you’re pointing these things out, because when I hear about this stuff it really turns me away from the MMO genre. I’m hoping ESO will be my stepping stone into other MMOs, and I’m hoping it’ll be revolutionary enough to make people rethink the way they view community and playing an MMO.
    Since this game will bring in a huge single-player crowd, I think those annoying trolls and hardcore players will be forced to consider other people’s thoughts and respect those around them for once.

8. The Greenjet April 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

I agree with most of this I’m a huge critic of the current state of the WoW community and Im definitely wishing for something more friendly in ESO. However I don’t want people to necessarily get away from being competitive either and i know that wasn’t the nature of what you’re saying. I am someone who loves to help people play a certain class or discuss what I could be doing better and I think sometimes people get too sensitive. It is a game and it should be fun and what that means is VERY subjective so instead of rules I think I’d just say that people should try to be as aware of what other people are trying to get out of the game as possible. From all different angles.

9. NAte April 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Use your ignore button. Problem solved. Your not forced to listen to anyone in most modern mmo’s.

10. Aceabee April 30, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Sorry but you Sir are the reason boxs sell and games fail. Want it all handed on a plate from your 10 hours a week game-play? And you would be willing to part wth $15/£9 a month for this? My advice is dont even bother playing this or any MMO, stick you your single player games that you can play at your own leisure.

I did agree with the “Toon” bit though!

• Brian Armstrong April 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

I’m the reason games fail? Wouldn’t me spending $15 on a game I play for ten hours a week actually help the game to succeed? And yes, if the game is good I will absolutely spend money every month to play it. I never said I wanted everything handed to me on a plate, in fact, I’ve said repeatedly I am looking forward to taking my time leveling up and enjoying the ride. I don’t need or expect anything to be handed to me, I simply don’t want to be yelled at by people who think they know more than me. Not sure where that came from, but thank you for reading (and I’m glad we at least agree about “toons!”) :)

11. Brian April 30, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

i agreew with most of what you are saying, and some of the Elitists pricks obviously arent very good at the social apsect of an MMMO. that being said you are always free to play your character any way you choose, just know that those who are proven to play their characters more efffectively also have the Feeedom to NOT include you if you arent doing the same. there are different degrees of performancce in the game, some are elite some are better than average, theres average and everything below. we all just havre to figure out where we fit in. we all have the right to play our characrters as we see fit ( and its good to have an open mind and take critisism and advice, make sa better player ) but in the end, we also have the right to not include those who cannot perform to the standard we hold ourselves too.

• Brian Armstrong April 30, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

Well said! I can’t argue with that, if I’m in a guild that demands performance, and they’re up front about that, that’s definitely on me, and is within their right to boot me.

• Ailabel April 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

On the performance part, I will agree with the people that talked to you about it, if that’s what they did. Telling someone that he’s doing something wrong with his character politely is acceptable, yelling at him for it is not. I’ve encountered countless people who had problems with understanding how their hero worked and how his abilities were best used.

Now, we have to consider that in games (Even Skyrim) that use statistics, numbers, and itemized power there is ALWAYS a way to play what you want to play in an optimal way. The way I understood it from your article, and I mean no offense, it’s simply the idea I got, is that you want to play a mage that wears heavy armor, uses a sword and board and enhances all his gear for melee combat, while preferring to fight enemies from a distance with your fireballs.

I’m probably wrong on that one, it feels like I’m calling you stupid which you obviously aren’t, but I’d be glad if you clarified on that portion.

Anyway, the whole point of this comment is to allow me to say that performance matters in any game you play. Don’t you feel better about yourself when you can solo a big-badass monster, only because you are skilled with your character and have the right equipment to defeat it? For me in Skyrim, the process and adventure of creating the optimal gear to defeat Alduin made me feel like a bad-ass when I stood at the peak of Sovangarde looking all buff and stuff xD

In the end, if you are told nicely that your Warrior is better off with a Strength necklace rather than an Agility-Intellect one, then the guy is just trying to help you. If he yells and ridicules you about it, he gets the point across, but he’s a jerk.

• Brian Armstrong May 1, 2013 at 1:11 am #

“The way I understood it from your article, and I mean no offense, it’s simply the idea I got, is that you want to play a mage that wears heavy armor, uses a sword and board and enhances all his gear for melee combat, while preferring to fight enemies from a distance with your fireballs.”

Hahaha, that’s a pretty funny image. :) Truthfully, I don’t have any wild fantasies of palying like that, what I’m more concerned about is someone telling me I should be using this skill instead of this one, or I should be using these attacks instead of that one. It’s that kind of crap that pisses me off, because frankly, that’s really a personal preference. Sure one might work better than another, for you, but not for my particular style of play. That’s all I’m saying.

• CrazedJedi April 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

I’ve always been a ‘hardcore’ raider in all my MMO games, and I’ve never encountered a raiding guild that didn’t do its best to make its expectations clear. It’s in their best interest to make sure everyone they recruit is up to their standard of play and knows what’s expected of their performance.

So if ESO has some version of PvE raid content (which hasn’t actually been confirmed) and you want to experience it, then you’ll probably have to abandon point 2 and 3. Unless the content is easy enough that any group can do it as long as the bodies are there, end game PvE typically requires coordination, skill, and a solid understanding of your class and how to maximize its performance. If you’re not willing to join in the organization and optimization, then you don’t have a right to experience ALL the end game content.

However, if you don’t care about killing every boss, don’t join a guild that makes that a priority, and your points 2 and 3 will never come up (except when you encounter the random dick in a group of strangers, but it’s an MMO, that’s going to happen occasionally). Also, ESO has made a point of avoiding the ‘raid’ label for their PvE end game content, so no one really knows what to expect on that front. All of this may be moot as new info is released.

12. Trollogrefey April 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

This game is going to be amazing no matter what and I agree with what you have to say. I personally do not want to get yelled at and i am surprised people do that in mmos. I have never played any mmo games (unless you count runescape, ’cause I certainly don’t) so I never knew this which is another reason for me to not play other MMOs. I am super phyched for ESO and can’t wait for another round of Beta invites.

13. thomas lockhart May 1, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

I disagree with most of the other commentors here. I don’t think this is specificaly a community issue. I have just started playing neverwinter this past couple of days and already am starting to see the same concerns in your article. I really dont see it coming from the community, but from how the game progressess.

The elder scrolls games have always presented their content without pressure allowing the player to discover things on their own and focus on the things thy want to focus on (crafting, exploring, leveling etc.).

MMOs tend to bombard the player with all their content forcing you to use all their mechanics to ‘keep up’. MMOs also push players into doing things regardless if they want to do it. Want to do something cool that the game offers?? Well usually you have to reach a certain level, or do certain quests before unlocking that dungeon. You are forced to have a certain party size. If you want to explore the next zone you have to complete all the things in the previouse zone. Also loot is always showing up with minimal upgrades teaching players to min – max right off the get go.

These are all things that the player base picks up on. If the game clearly instructs you to play it a certain way, so will the players.

The key difference is that the elder scrolls lets you discover and use the game mechanics that you want to use. MMOs tend to slap you in the face with them and expect you to master them all before being able to see the depth of (or lack there of) their game.

14. Sirfinch420 May 2, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Not to discourage you about mmo’s
    But no matter what you do or how you do it you will get those people who just have to share their thoughts on how you should be doing it. Just like you find the guys who refuse to help or give straight answers to others. So guys don’t be an a-hole with others just because you think you can do it better. No one can build up my hero (not toon) the way I want. Hope to see you out there either at my side in battle or on the end of my sword!!

• Brian Armstrong May 2, 2013 at 10:51 am #

I’ll be looking for your hero, and yes hopefully we’ll be side-by-side. :)

15. Paul R. Gauthier May 3, 2013 at 12:19 am #

The MMORPG genre is not for you. Stick to single player games like the original Elder Scrolls.

I am totally serious and not trying to be a jerk. But I’ll be blunt: all of your “rules’ stem from ignorance and a fundamental misunderstanding of the MMORPG genre. Not to mention they’d destroy the whole point and purpose of an MMORPG if they were implemented as you desire.

I don’t hold this against you. You’re wrong, dead wrong, but it’s because MMORPGs and you are not a good match — thus you misunderstand them and demand unrealistic, genre-breaking things of them.

Except for your hatred of the term “toon”. I hate it too. However, again, your ignorance and bias is showing: the term did not originate in WoW.

P.S. – I am sure you’re getting FLAMED by people in the comments. I am explaining to you why.

• Jubi May 6, 2013 at 1:33 am #

As someone who has been playing MMOs for a long time, I’ve taken part in just about every kind of activity one can in an MMO including raiding. I see a very narrow view of the MMO world from the window you’re pushing.

I’m not sure what you see as the “purpose of an MMO” but I assure you it isn’t to promote bad manners or force people to use a spreadsheet and parcer just to enjoy the game.

As for “endgame” activities, raiding is just a crutch people have come to expect. Many more options do exist, a few have been done very well in the past.

I do very much apologise if I can off as pushy or insulting, I still find it funny that despite the outright claims made there is no attempt to educate, just a lot of “you’re the problem” finger pointing.

16. Auroness May 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

I find it fascinating, that there are people who are extremely unwilling to look at alternative play styles. Fortunately, I think ESO is developed in such a manner, that there can be different ways to do things. Nothing will be perfect, there will always be a different way to do things.

It is possible that a crafter will be able to make items that are just as good as the items you find during a raid. Even if you find something spectacular in a raid, that crafter can improve it.

I am looking forward to playing the game, and never going on a raid. Yes, you heard me. No raids, and no PvP. I like crafting, and I am willing to pay every month to do so. If you yell at me, I’ll charge you double for item improvements. If you insult my family, I might not do any business at all for you.

ESO is going to show the militant MMO community that there are a lot of people who like the game, and who have their own way of contributing.

• Jubi May 6, 2013 at 1:42 am #

Good to hear, One of the people I remember most fondly from early Vanguard was a professional crafter. Getting to the level she was at with it was not something a lot of people had the drive to do, as a result she had a waiting list of people wanting everything from houses to boats built for them.

Personaly I doubt I’ll be involved in any raiding either, if it gets added for more than PvP. I’ve found I’m much happier with a small group of friends.

17. Paul May 8, 2013 at 1:33 am #

I think that some of the people here who play MMOs frequently are missing the point here – it’s that funnelling feeling where you stop feeling like your choices are still your own, that it’s not about exploring a world with others, but more about just doing some silly process to make “progress” that makes people like me and the author not want to play MMOs. The idea that all MMOs have to be that way is disheartening, and I hope not true. While perhaps we do just want to play ES VI, maybe all we want is all of Tamriel, where we get to interact with others. It’s when that interaction with others forces us to abandon creativity that we go back to our single player games. While I understand the point that, at some level you are forced to optimize, at another level, it would be best if the developers could somehow incentivize a push away from conformity, number crunching, and a general loss of wonder that has characterized the Elder Scrolls series from the beginning.

18. someone May 24, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Sorry, I couldn’t read a very positive message in between the lines of this article. It did seem like you were “yelling”, but also seemed like you were just yelling back at the players who had yelled at you.

Fair enough. Maybe I missed a decimal point or something.

But… dude, its 2013, and we’re talking about the Internet.

Immature, arrogant players, ranging in age from 6 to 60, are always going to feel like they are wholly justified to come up and tell you who you are, where you should go, what you should do; they LOL at your gear and call you n00b.

I’d tell you more about these crap-tastic individuals, but I rarely last to their second sentence, when their first begins with “L 2 play”.

Let’s be fair, though: if your definition of game progression is to try and get the shiny purple sword from the dragon’s chest, you have to go into the cave and fight the dragon – in today’s MMOs, that means raiding.

That is where I found this article to be not so positive.

If you could care less about going to the dragon’s cave, nobody has any place to tell you how or why to fight the dragon.

If you do want to come along and help fight the dragon, ok – but if you are the cleric that won’t heal, the tank that won’t use a shield, the mage that won’t cast spells – not so ok. Especially not ok when everyone else in the group is ready to go, and is geared / spec’d so as to have the greatest chance of success.

Why is it not so ok? Because now you’re keeping me from enjoying my game, the way I want to play it.

Given the choice between player A asking “What is wrong with my poison spear of Awesome?” and player B saying “I know to stand against the wall when the dragon breathes fire, I know he has poison reflect, and I just happen to have +1000 to critical chance.”, I prefer to play with player B, because they are there for the same reason I’m there, and they’re taking the same steps I’m taking, so that we all have the greatest chance of seeing that shiny purple sword.

It isn’t the role of a game developer to give incentives to discourage number crunching / min-maxing. It is the role of the player community to group with like-minded players and do what they enjoy.

My only real wish is that more players knew when to say something, and how to be polite about it when the situation comes up.

Sadly, politeness is about as common as an MMO without gold farmers.

Personally, I’m really looking forward to ESO. I plan to roll Ebonhart. Hope to see you all there, too!

19. Kyle May 26, 2013 at 10:44 am #

I agree with the points in this Article. I have played MANY MMOs in my life, looking for that special one that will grab me. I originally thought WoW was that game. I played it for 4 years until I realized that game was unhealthy for me, it made me an angry and bitter person who hated almost everyone in the game because the Min Max PVPers made PVP completely pointless for me, Raiders demanded you treat Raids like a second job and all RP was either just mindless Cybering or Run out of Town like it was some disease that “real” players didn’t even want to see. I found this happened in several other MMOs that I played. When I found GW2 it started out great, totally different. But I found the lack of anything to do but PVP at the level cap ( I hate crafting ) made that old really fast and never went back.

I then tried, at least 3 different times, to enjoy TOR. That was the most effort I ever put into trying to like a game. But I found the Mechanics to be old and obsolete, and felt the Holy Trinity did not fit right in the Star Wars setting. On top of that with over half the content in the game being “Heroic” quests that demanded groups of players to complete. (Most players skiped these completely btw, real smart idea. <.< ) and overall it was just a pretty bad experience, which broke my heart due to my love of Star Wars.

I have played many other MMOs as well, Champions Online, City of Heroes, Jade Dynasty, Planet Calypso, Warriors of Cabal, Runes of Magic, Archon, Rift, Aion, APB, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online and so on. Most of these games more or less end up totally barren of life or end up like my WoW experience. STO is a strange case as almost no one ever really says anything at all unless its at a hub, then its always just horrendous nonsense. Yet the game functions perfectly fine, there is no nessesity to join a Guild to do end game content. You just join the queue and do the mission, the missions only take about 20 minutes on average and everyone in the group gets loot for their time, I actually really enjoy this system and find myself always going back to STO because it's more accessible and does not demand hours of free time to make progress doing a single piece of content. As always there is the occasional jack off, but they are easily ignored.

Overall I feel this a problem that needs to be addressed by both the Community AND the Developers of these games. Devs need to stop making all MMOs run and behave exactly the same like an assembly line. And the Community needs to stop trying to make games intended to be new and refreshing and force the mechanics to behave in same old fashion, aka Trinity and Raids. It is something that requires commitment from both directions, and something which I doubt will ever happen in the MMO Genre.

20. mmo-hot April 5, 2014 at 10:36 pm #

I let myself become a fool .